• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat 240

jakesdad

I have been looking to buy a excavator. And I called on a cat 240 but the sales man couldnot tell me what kind of engine it had. Or the size or hp.Can anyone help me out?

mitch504

The Cats with an E started life as mitsubishis. The cats that start with a 2 but with no E are original Cats. The ones that start with a 3 are cats built after they bought mitsubishi out of the trackhoe business and used most of their design. I ran mitzi-bitzis before cat bought them and loved them. They evidently put 3304s in the E240s once they became Cats. I think they are probably in the top 5 engines I have messed with. sounds like a good machine

plantman.uk

Occupation
excavator operator
i hope you don't mind me asking this question.why would you consider buying a machine from a guy who clearly does not know his machinery?..

TD-5

That is a good link to a bunch of brochures! You should post that in Link Exchange at the top of the forum.:salute :drinkup
Thanks

It appears I don't have perrmission to post in that section:(

Here is the link to Cesco equipments page listing all the brochures, Someone at that company went to alot of work & deserves a big thanks. I have used the site many times in my research of older equipment/excavators

http://www.cescoused.com/specs.php

jakesdad

thanks for the info.I guess the price is pretty good on this machine.It looks good too. Tracks look good. TD-5 you are wright there are not many of 240s out for sale.Is the cat 3304 a good engine ? Or what should I look for?

TD-5

The 3300 series engines have been around a long time, 3304 was used in the earlier 215 & some 225 excavators. 3306 was used in 235's, EL300's, 330 excavators, D6 dozers to name a few. My experience with these engines is mostly in the marine industry as Gen set & Hydraulic pump drives & they were an excellent engine in that application.

mitch504

3304 was in some late 215 also, 219s d4e,518,525,some graders and a lot of other stuff I can't remember

ILLICEMAN

Occupation
FARMER ex CHEVY DEALER
E 200

I HAVE HAD SERVERAL E 220.EL200.ALL B,S tHEY WERE ALL GREAT MACHINES.
USED UNITS WITH BOTH ENGINES AND CAN,T SAY ENOUGH GOOD THINGS ABOUT BOTH ENGINES.i DO THINK THE CAT MIGHT RESELL A LITTLE BETTER.
THE ONLY REASON I WENT TO A DEERE WAS I WANTED A BETTER CAB.:usa