• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 16G?

Clawed Backster

I came across a Cat 16G advertised for sale recently, at least the owner said it is a "G" model. The weird part is that it has the old mechanical lift arms for the blade. I was under the impression that the G's all had hydraulic cylinders for the blade elevation. Am I all wet, or is he trying to pull a fast one? I have not gotten the serial # from him yet.
I have not seen the machine in person yet, as it is quite a distance from me. I have only seen pictures.

Last edited:

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
As far as I know, the 16G was the first all hydraloic blade built by Cat, I think in 74?
The old 'knuckle buster' 16's serial number pre- fix was 49G if Im not mistaken. That could be what the seller has posted.
Where did you find it? Is it a local dealler or on a equipment site? Any pics?
Jason

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Well its a good looking old 16, but its definitely not a G model! That would be a 49G serial pre-fix machine, where as the 16G is a 93U pre-fix, and all hydraulic.
Sounds like the seller is a bit confused!

hicrop10

Occupation
Contractor(earthmover)
That picture brings back alot of good memoryies.I spent alot of time on those old 16,they had plenty of power.

JDOFMEMI

I would say it might be worth $8,000 to $10,000 if it is in running condition.

Then again, it is not my $$ one way or the other, just my opinion.