• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case W36

KTRasch

Occupation
Retired
I just acquired a Case W36 from a Gov'mt agency and wondered if anyone has experience with this model machine. What are the weak points?

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I just acquired a Case W36 from a Gov'mt agency and wondered if anyone has experience with this model machine. What are the weak points?
The W36 is a pretty good machine the weakest point that I remember was the torque converter and seal. They were bad to leak and hard to repair. What engine is in your loader?

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Did you find any info on this? I'm looking at buying one with a potentially shot transmission. It won't spin the tires when pushing into a pile but it will move itself around.

Thanks
How does the engine run, what engine is in this loader? Have you checked oil level and type, if I remember correctly those were Allison trannys and used Dexron trans oil. Might be a good idea to check pressures also.

mowingman

Occupation
Retired
We had one at our company years ago. The trans. was always causing problems, but I am sure we used it way harder than it was built for. Finally got it running fairly well, gave it a Sherwin Williams overhaul, and sold it at a big auction. It brought way more than anyone thought it would, and we were glad it was gone. Believe it or not, I saw it was atill running about 2 years ago. It is really old now.

How does the engine run, what engine is in this loader? Have you checked oil level and type, if I remember correctly those were Allison trannys and used Dexron trans oil. Might be a good idea to check pressures also.

Well I believe it has a case 504 engine the same as our 13 through 44 series case tractors have. Going to look at the loader tomorrow. He says the engine runs fine and the machine can do work it just will not move like it should into a pile. Won't ram in, seems like it's slipping and it only does 8MPH on the road.

I've read that they have Clark 13.1 transmissions. There seems to be a few models - HR28421-20 or - 17 or - 18 and HR32431 and -2. Not sure what the last "-20/-17/-18" means yet

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Some photos would be nice if you can. Take photo of serial number plate (should be in cab) of machine, engine and transmission.

Some photos would be nice if you can. Take photo of serial number plate (should be in cab) of machine, engine and transmission.

This was the only clear panel, inside the cab with the serial number. the rest were rubbed so bad you couldn't read them.

Does anybody know the weight of this thing? Different sites online range between 31,000 pounds to 67,000 pounds?

Attachments

• 20200702_193107.jpg
    20200702_193107.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Where was this plate located? The VIN tag should be on right hand side of instrument panel.

Where was this plate located? The VIN tag should be on right hand side of instrument panel.
That's the one! The dimensions tag was on the outside of the cab on the driver's side (USA) and it was rubbed clean off the metal panel. I couldn't find the transmission tag. There was so much oil around it from the steering sector leaking I think

Well I wound up buying the loader. It gets around pretty good in first gear and I'm going to change all the filters and oils and see if the higher gears improve. It lifts like you wouldn't Beleive. Pretty much threw around this D7C cat we loaded on our scissor neck!

Attachments

• 20200706_154018.jpg
    20200706_154018.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 23