• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

polecat513

Howdy-
New guy here with an older Case W11b wheel loader that's been rode hard and NEVER put away. This ol' girl was sitting for long time. I have had multiple issues with this machine from hydraulic leaks to fuel pumps , brakes, flat tires, sediment in the fuel tank and Hydraulic reservoir, rusted out fuel lines, fuel pump(s), you name it. It serves an important purpose in my operation. Unfortunately that purpose only comes around 2 to three days a year. It sits, parked under an awning for sometimes for as long as 5 months at a time. This thing acts different nearly every time I use it. It has had a "lag" when putting it in FORWARD from time to time. On occasion, it would be rather extended sometimes lagging 20 to 30 seconds before finally moving , after shifting the lever into forward from neutral and/or reverse. Seems as tho I remember it taking even longer than that every once in a while as well. It would have a significant lag when shifting it from LOW to HIGH gear as well on occasion. I drained the fluid out of the transmission after I got it. The fluid that came out of it was pretty nasty looking stuff. I have changed it out twice now. I have changed all the filters numerous times now due to the fact that it had been sitting for about 3 years when I bought it and there was rust in every fluid in it. Now it goes into reverse just fine and feels strong. However , going forward is iffy. Sometimes it will move, sometimes it won't. I started it up , let warm up for about 15 minutes went back to move it and it would not move forward. I waited for nearly 1 minute, got impatient and shifted it into reverse. It shifted and reverse hit solid. I stopped, put in forward and nothing. I was in a hurry so I just shut it down and used another piece of equipment to do what needed done. Two days later, I fired it up and sat it in it until it warmed up, put it in forward, and it took right off! I made one pass around the yard with it, stopped, put it in neutral , jumped out and hooked up a chain, climbed back in it, put in gear and nothing. I shut it down, went back and fired it up, put it in gear and away I went, no problem. What the heck?

I checked the fluid. It looks fine and is up to the proper level. I'll admit, I don't know very much about these loaders other than basics in maintenance and minor repairs. I have no manual ,as it seemed to grow legs shortly after I bought it. I really hope the transmission isn't shot in this thing as it barely earns its keep around here as it is. Is there one o' you fellas that can help me out here? I'm clueless. Thank you for your time and consideration. I appreciate any help immensely. ~13~

mikebramel

Well if the trans were shot such as the clutch packs it wouldn't work all the time. With an intermittent problem you probably have a problem with a harness, switch, or connector (if applicable) or valving on the transmission sticking. I would think more of the later since it was running on degraded fluid for however long

Polecat13

Well if the trans were shot such as the clutch packs it wouldn't work all the time. With an intermittent problem you probably have a problem with a harness, switch, or connector (if applicable) or valving on the transmission sticking. I would think more of the later since it was running on degraded fluid for however long
Hi Mike- Thank you for taking the time to help me out. I appreciate it very much. So here I am, back to try and figure this thing out. The first thing I should ask, is what kind of fluid does the transmission take? I get different answers from people. Since I last posted my issue, the loader has just been sitting. I fired it up and now it seems that once it warms up it doesnt want to go forward. Reverse works fine and feels strong, but it seems to be slipping when i put it in forward, in both high and low gear. it moves forward as it should until its been running for about a half hour. I don't even know where to start on this issue. Please "point" and I will follow.
Thanks again,
JB

mikebramel

Send me a message and I can forward you the service manual for a W14 which I think would be similar?

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
CHECK TRANS RUNNING?
The transmission uses Hy-tran Ultra, it used to be TCH. You check the trans engine off cold. The problem you have is probably a sticky spool in the control valve. But you need to have trans pressures checked to make sure of that.