• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case SM 580 seized wheel

digger7

I have a Case Series I SM 580 backhoe. Yesterday the left front wheel locked up and refuses to roll either forward or backward. It is not in 4 wheel drive and I was wondering if anyone had a thought on what might cause this. Thanks in advance.

highwayghost

Occupation
Emissions Analyst
Pull the plug on the planetary and see if there is enough oil and the condition. Drain and see if there is anything on the magnet or in the oil. If it won't spin then this may be difficult depending on where the plug is.

digger7

Yes sir, thank you for the exploded view of the planetary. I didn't pay attention to the position of the plug, but I'll check it first thing, weather permitting. Supposed to be pretty horrid in S. Georgia tomorrow. I had searched for a YouTube video and found one showing the disassembly on a large Case/IH farm tractor. It looked very similar to what I have on the backhoe.

digger7

I pulled the plug and the magnet was covered in metal bits, so I know something catastrophic happened inside to the planetary. I don't have a Case dealer very close to me and thus far have been able to do my own repairs and maintenance. Is the disassembly and repair of the planetary within the realm of someone with average mechanical skills or should I try and find a pro?

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 26

JBrady

I have never done the job myself, but I have seen the video on youtube you are talking about and you are right they look very similar. I have a Case IH MFWD tractor and a Case backhoe, I believe they are both ZF axles and look identical, at least from the outside. From the video, it looks pretty doable.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
I pulled the plug and the magnet was covered in metal bits, so I know something catastrophic happened inside to the planetary. I don't have a Case dealer very close to me and thus far have been able to do my own repairs and maintenance. Is the disassembly and repair of the planetary within the realm of someone with average mechanical skills or should I try and find a pro?

First thing to do is get a service manual. Then try to locate some second hand parts as this repair will cost you big dollars.
There are some new non CNH part suppliers out there - Google some part numbers

BTW - the axles are Carraro not ZF.

Oh, you might want to check the hub on the other side for correct oil level.:rolleyes:

JBrady

Thanks Alrman, as usual, you are correct. My backhoe and case tractor are parked side by side, and definitely different axles. I don’t know why I thought that.