• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case Skidsteer fuel help needed

mx3lover

Occupation
Truck and Coach Mechanic
I have to start by saying I have never worked on a case before, my background is automotive and I am a licensed Truck and Coach mechanic. A driver at work said he has a 1980ish Case skid steer with a diesel 580 case engine which needs a fuel pump.... apparently he tried to change it but it wouldnt fire. The machine will fire with starting fluid then die, he had asked me to check it out. Is there a 580 in a skid steer? Is there a certian timing proceedure to follow when installing the pump? Any help in this matter would be appreciated, thankyou

jwith68

Probably an early 1835 or 1845 (not "C" model) with a Case D188, same engine as in a 580 or 580B loader/backhoe, and several others. Pretty conventional 4 cylinder ag diesel.

mx3lover

Occupation
Truck and Coach Mechanic
Ok, the machine is 1.5hours in the bush..... I just want to be prepared. If I install the new pump, prime the system to the injectors it should go? No timing or setting up the pump?

sheepfoot

You should ask him the series, the 1835/1835B use the G188D engine and the timing is at 4* btdc. The pump and housing hopefully was scribed before removal. Tie the fuel lever back before removal, inside pump drive will have a dot and line it up to the shaft dot during install. The line in the side window, cover removed should be close if it's at the 4* btdc when installed. It would not hurt to have a new set of butterfly seals and window gasket with you do to the site your going. If it's a 1845/1845B the same except it times at 8* btdc. Some will have a small hand pump or a elect primer pump installed. Remove the screw on the top fuel filter and bleed the air out, crack the injector lines until fuel starts coming. If it's a 1835C it has a Teledyne TMD20 engine. If it is a 1840/1845C it has a 4-390 cummins engine and is a different set up to time. Hope this helps.