• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case Shifter, something's not right

JRP3

My 580D has never been able to shift into 3rd or 4th, so the other day I took the cover off the trans and saw that the 3-4 shift fork seems to be locked into place by a bolt. This doesn't look stock and doesn't show up in the pics in my manual. Any ideas what's up?
It's the bolt holding the shift rail in the lower right of this picture:

Attachments

• Shifter.jpg
    Shifter.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 592

thehose

Occupation
Funeral Industry
I don't recognize that bolt either.
In the top 2 holes is where the 'detent ball' and spring go.

I call that a 'shuttle' that the forks attach to and move on. I think the proper name is fork rail though.

The only 2 reasons I could imagine that this would be done is
1) If they had a novice operator and wanted to limit the use of gears. (I say get a more experienced operator, you can tell a kid don't use 3rd or 4th and they could follow those instructions) and

2) if 3rd and 4th had gone out and they wanted to prevent someone from trying to use them.

JRP3

I was thinking along the same lines as you. The gears look fine and everything seems tight, so maybe I'll take the bolt out and see what happens. Do I need to leave something in the bolt hole or can I just take it out completely?
At this point I really don't need 3 and 4 but I'd like to figure this out in case I do need it someday.
Just had a thought, if the fwd/reverse hydraulic shuttle was going bad maybe they locked out 3-4 to prevent slippage? I've always felt there was some slippage but don't know what it should feel like since this is the only TLB I've had.

thehose

Occupation
Funeral Industry
I don't even remember that hole being tapped, threaded. I think they had to have tapped it in order to put the bolt in.

Back it out. see if they jammed another ball in that hole or something.
After that, remove it and test.

Dustin Mason

That is interesting. I have been into a couple of these, but it has been a while, and my memory is rather quick. With that said, here goes:

If i recall correctly the ball and spring are mounted vertically up in the cover, i.e. the ball would shoot out right at the camera lens if you slid the shifter rail out of its guide.
Take the bolt out and move the rail and you can tell if the spring and ball are in place and operational. If so, I would wonder why it was done and carefully examine the synchronizer assembly on the mainshaft. 3rd and 4th on this transmission is synchronized and if someone before you trashed the synchronizer, whoever owned it may have just decided to lock out those two gears instead of fixing it. You really have nothing to lose by trying to engage 3rd and 4th, as easy as it is to pop the cover off.

In reference to your second question about slippage, yes, this machine is designed to slip. It is equipped with a torque converter just like in an automobile with an automatic transmission. If your machine easily spins its rear wheels in first gear, and also in second with poor traction or while prying with the loader, hence taking weight off the rear wheels, I wouldn't suspect a problem with that part of the machine.

The Case 580C through 580E are some of my favorite machines to work on, they are well-built and rather simple. Let us know what you find. I am keenly interested.

Dustin

JRP3

Ok, finally got a chance to test this out with the lock bolt removed. Shifter now moves into 3rd and 4th position, but the hoe won't move in either of those gears. Motor seems to be under some load when in 3rd or 4th, bogs down a little, but nothing happens. Gears looked fine when I had the cover off :beatsme
I guess I could shift it into 3rd or 4th, take the cover off, then start it up and see what's going on.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
In 3rd or 4th the machine will be a real dog. You will have to be on level ground, rev it up a little and wait for it to start rolling. These gears are mostly for roading and usually shifted into when moving. If your oil in that compartment is cold, then they can be real sluggish at first. Put your outriggers down, raise the rear wheels and see what happens. Make sure when you put the gear shift cover down that you see both shifter forks engage. Phil:)

JRP3

:Banghead Why didn't I think of trying it with the machine jacked up? :pointhead
What's the process of shifting on the go with these? Do I just shift from 2nd to 3rd, or do I need to put the shuttle into neutral first? :beatsme

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Yes, just put the shuttle in neutral, once you are moving, then reach down and slip her in.:p I would do the "jack her wheels up test first" because as someone else said, there is reason to be suspicious of why someone did the mod in the first place. Phil:)

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
My 580D has never been able to shift into 3rd or 4th, so the other day I took the cover off the trans and saw that the 3-4 shift fork seems to be locked into place by a bolt. This doesn't look stock and doesn't show up in the pics in my manual. Any ideas what's up?
It's the bolt holding the shift rail in the lower right of this picture:

That is definately someones attempt to stop the use of 3-4. I have worked for a case dealer all my life and had many of those covers in my hand, thats a cobble job. Mel