• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case / NH CTL& SS Heads Up

JNB

Occupation
Flyin' low and rollin' slow...
Just thought I'd post a few preventable issues that I've heard about or discovered for myself in the last few weeks.

Remote Oil Drain - Remove the rear small belly pan inspection plate. Dirt gets trapped down there around the remote drain connection to the oil pan, hardens and vibration can crack the oil pan. The repair requires engine removal. If the (2) bolts holding the cover twist off upon removal, it's easier to flip the cover plate around, drill and tap new holes for the bolts then easy-out the old bolts. My machine had been regularly pressure washed and was full of mud wrapping around the oil pan. Luckily the mud stayed moist enough that the pan hadn't cracked. Thanks to KSSS for the heads up on this one, I checked it out before it became a problem.

Main Hydraulic Pump Charge Lines - One or both of these lines can rub against the belly pan and burst. One of mine did while I was working yesterday and shut down the machine. The fault code #4431 indicates a parking brake circuit disruption that points to an electrical solenoid or wiring problem. I wish it was that simple. Actually mine lost all hydraulic charge pressure so the brake and hydraulics wouldn't work. When trying to overide the code, pressing the "operate" button empties the hydraulic tank immediately into the belly pan. The field service tech says that mine is the fourth one he's seen in the last few months. Replacement of the hoses involves removal of both tracks, drive motors and rear undercarriage connection mounting plates for access. Of course, I'm going to try doing it myself cause I like torture. I will be installing the velcro version hose sleeves with tie wraps to every hose I can get to down there.

Hydraulic Hose - I don't know what this hose actually supplies, but I saw this while we had the cab up. The hose at the top of the pump rubs against another coil sleeved hose (a/c?) entering the left side of the cab. I'll add a hose sleeve there too.

A/C Condensate Drains - I noticed this while the cab was up as well. Both rubber nipples were clogged. When the cab was flipped all of the water dumped on the cab floor. The service tech says to give each a short blast of air to clean. There's probably another way to clean them out, but I'll have to look at it a bit more after we recover my machine from it's resting place on the only high spot next to a creek...over a mile from solid ground...and it's raining now. :(

JNB

Occupation
No replies on this thread but a whole lotta looks, so I'll give an update. Hopefully it will save someone grief down the road. My TR320 only has 830 hrs on it, so we're not talking about an old machine.

Main Hydraulic Pump Charge Line Update (CTL's only) - Actually drivemotor supply lines - With the cab raised, these (4) large hoses can be found on the left side of the hydraulic pump. Two go to the left side drivemotor and two to the right. Since these hoses (and a few more smaller ones) reside in the area that would be the chaincases on a tire equipped skidsteer, the outside hose ends are not accessible unless the drivemotors and mounting plates are removed. This is the area that the hoses chafe and burst. I suggest powerwashing these areas VERY well, with the cab raised, on a routine basis. The only way to get protective jackets on the hoses back in there is through the small chaincase openings they pass through, or when they're being replaced.

Wire Loom Chafing - With the cab raised, look for chafing of the large wire loom located on the left side of the machine attached to the frame. My wire loom was almost rubbed through from contact with the bottom of the cab.

Hydraulic Quick Attach - If you find yourself in a jam with no hydraulic power and have an attachment on there that needs removal, shoot me a pm and I'll explain how to get to the fittings to bleed the QA hydraulics so the QA pins can be retracted. It will be more of a pita with a bucket or other attachment hooked up that has no access from the front, but it can still be done.

Grit

Thanks, JNB. I too like torture. I manage to get things done after throwing a few wrenches at the wall along with a few choice words. :eek: :D

Does this apply to all year model machines?

JNB

Occupation
This is regarding the CASE Alpha series, which is what I have. The NH machines are very similar or identical in some ways, so I figured I'd give a heads up n them too.. So beginning in 2011 I believe. I do know that the earlier CASE CTL'S use the same final drive motor though. I suspect that most of them are higher in hours so most of the bugs should have been ironed out by now.

tmc_31

Occupation
Sports Lighting Contractor
Hey John, did you get your Case out of the mud? You could sent some of that rain over our way ya know:D.

Thanks for posting about the issues you are having with your skid. Mine is an older version than yours but I will be checking anyway.

Tim

JNB

Occupation
Yeah Tim, we got it out of there. The biggest problem was the distance from the road. The project I'm on has had the lots benched and utilities in for ten years, The water service lines had been leaking for who knows how long before we got there. There were actually twenty-foot tall hackberry trees growing up around some of them. Soft spots everywhere. It was like running a minefield guiding the roll-back truck in there.

JNB

Occupation
New update today...with FIRE!

Expletives have been modified or removed for your protection.

Unloaded my CASE TR320 from the trailer after the drivemotor/hydraulic hose repair, hooked up the bucket and parked it last week. It's been sitting there ever since. The total cost for the repair including the service tech call and towing of the dead machine... a shade over $7k.

This afternoon I walk out to the shop and hear the hydraulic cooling fan on the engine lid of my CASE TR320 CTL running. Since it rained last night, I thought that maybe the connector at the fan motor had gotten wet. When I opened the cab door I found the HVAC motor running and smelled burning electrical. At that moment smoke started pouring from behind the cup holder! I grabbed my fire extinguisher from the shop and shot it in there and removed the cup holder panel. The smoke was coming from the front (accessory) fuse/relay distribution block. When I removed the cover flames started coming out of the distribution block!

While I'm trying to pull out the burning relays, my wife's grandfather was trying to get the positive battery cable unhooked. After burning the heck out of my fingers removing the relays and dosing the area with fire extinguisher contents, he gets the battery disconnected and I get the fire under control.

#1 My fuse blocks are both mounted upside down, so it took me awhile to figure out which relays had fried. Turns out it was the EH (electric/hydraulic) Control Module relay and Option Relay. In the upside down configuration, the relays are mounted directly underneath the door seal.

#2 The accessory fuse box melted. The dealer tells me that to repair it they have to replace the entire harness, which includes removing the engine. $5000 minimum for the repair!!

I'm so ******* ****** off right now I could eat bricks! My lungs are full of fire extinguisher crud and smoke. If it was water that shorted something out, wouldn't a fuse blow? What about all of the machines without a cab? Those fuse boxes have no protection at all from the elements. Did the dealer pinch off wires somewhere when they had the cab up for two weeks? And just how do I prove that?

I'll call CASE once again to start an incident number, but them saying that they will help out is very unlikely. From my prior conversations with them they're about as helpful as **** on a ****.

This is a freaking 2012 machine with less than 850 hrs on it! One drivemotor/final and two electrical panel replacements under warranty...Now a blown hydraulic hose to the drivemotor, one more drivemotor/final drive replaced AND an electrical fire!

Sorry...had to vent.

I'm a one man show with a New Holland tractor and a CASE CTL, and I've been a faithful CNH customer since they became CNH. Ford before that. The expenses I've incurred to repair my CASE machine have already put my plans for building a new home for my family on hold. If they don't step up to the plate this time...they will have lost me as a customer forever. Whatever the outcome, I will document it right here.
POS CASE01.jpg POSE CASE02.jpg POSE CASE03.jpg

The only reason I was near my CASE today is because I was going to take photos of the paint for another thread I have going on elsewhere on the net. If I hadn't gone out there right then...this could have been a major disaster for me and my family. The machine is parked less than 5 feet from my shop and less than 10 feet from our PROPANE TANK!

ironjunkie

It's like trying to find words for, ….. loosing your dog or something. Hang in there bro. is all I come up with.:confused:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Yes contact your insurance company. That machine has been problematic. Sorry to hear about your issues. I don't know if you will ever get to the bottom of the issue but, I find it hard to believe that the machine just started an electrical fire after your get it back from being worked on. Your insurance company may send an investigator out to look at the machine. I feel for you.

hmearth

Well john it makes a lot of problems seem small compared to yours I wish you the the of luck.
Most guys out there with a machine or two take pride and them and there family's live
There lives around there machines so in turn I find there like family sound weird but true

JNB

Occupation
You're correct HM, that's how it works.

I got the go-ahead late last night to start a week long job with the machine. Instead, I'll be looking for a rental yet again this morning.

tmc_31

Occupation
Sports Lighting Contractor
Wow John, that's crazy! Is the machine still in warranty? I sure hope they will step up.

Tim

74inchShovel

To me it seems a little coincidental the machine goes in for "major surgery" then spontaneously combusts. I would try if possible to find the source of the fire. Try going to Cases web site, and type in your "Case Story". It will get you nowhere most likely, but will serve notice its game on. Lastly, I'm sorry for ya. This is a tough hit.

JNB

Occupation
Wow John, that's crazy! Is the machine still in warranty? I sure hope they will step up.

It's out of warranty Tim. I have jobs to do with it. What a pita.

To me it seems a little coincidental the machine goes in for "major surgery" then spontaneously combusts. I would try if possible to find the source of the fire. Try going to Cases web site, and type in your "Case Story". It will get you nowhere most likely, but will serve notice its game on. Lastly, I'm sorry for ya. This is a tough hit.

Good idea...I just may do that.

Hi john have you had any luck yet with your case

No luck yet Hock. I started an incident # with CASE Customer Service. They will contact the dealer and since it was a fire they'll get the regional product rep involved and get back to me.

JGibson

I really feel for you man, a friend of mine had issues like that with his Cat 236. I know its an expensive solution, but with all the problems you have had with this Case and your dealership, why not trade it in for a deere 323d/e or a Cat 279c etc. With only 850 hours and issues like that its a lemon. And then with bad dealership support that adds to it. Its not the machine that counts, its the dealership.

Last edited:

JNB

Occupation
I really feel for you man, a friend of mine had issues like that with his Cat 236. I know its an expensive solution, but with all the problems you have had with this Case and your dealership, why not trade it in for a deere 323d/e or a Cat 279c etc. With only 850 hours and issues like that its a lemon. And then with bad dealership support that adds to it. Its not the machine that counts, its the dealership.

Thanks for the support. If I can get this latest deal straightened out, I think I'll trade it in on a Kubota SVL90. I have a great relationship with my local Kubota dealer. I rented ctl's from them since the SVL's came out. I was originally going to purchase an SVL75, but I fell in love with the CASE after I ran it. It's really comfortable, heavier and stronger than the 75. As far as I know, Kubota has only had one issue (with their first SVL'S) and it was also with a main hydraulic supply running under the engine. Not only did Kubota pick up the tab on machines with the problem...they also changed the design and retrofitted all machines already at the dealerships.

This is my first skid steer, tracked or wheeled. I've learned a bunch. I'm the sole operator and at the age of 57...comfort blinded me. In the future I'll take reliability over comfort any day of the week.

JGibson

The kubotas seem like really good machines. Almost got to run a 90 at the dealership. I love the vertical lift with them. The only bad thing about them is the door is very awkward to open and close. But still they seem like wonderful machine. I also looked at a slv75 but couldn't afford it lol.

Swannny

"I'm the sole operator and at the age of 57..." That's cool you've got a grandpappy still alive...you've got 11 years on me and both of mine have been gone for a while now. I hope it works out better for you with a Kubota if and when you trade.