• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case left the Tracked Loader business? Never knew....

OKYLE

Am I seeing this right?

All i see on the website they have is "Compact Tracked Loaders"

Which is a skidsteer with rubber tracks.....

I was interested in checking out what they had for a tracked loader and bam... cant find it on the website.

and from checking out auction sites looks like the last ones were built in the late 90's?

Own a 1986 Case 855D tracked loader with the Cummins inline 6 that has never failed me so was really interested in the newest stuff they had. :drinkup

All the other heavy equipment seems to be on the site they have... Just no tracked loaders...
bummer :Banghead

Anyone else build tracked loaders with the Cummins Inline 6 cylinders?

Im really loyal to Cummins Inline 4 and inline 6 cylinders, Ive been very lucky with em.

biggixxerjim

Case no longer makes a t loader; they havent for a while.

Cats were always the best, a 953 would be a comparable machine to yours. Apparently John Deere makes a pretty nice one now as well, ive just never run one.

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
I got to try a new John Deere track loader last week. I think it was a 755.
It was smooth to operate ( after I got on to the controls) and i found it had a lot of power. the owner told me that it is actually a Leibeherr machine.

OKYLE

havent even had a chance to go and check out any of the john deere stuff.

after reading up a bit I was figuring on a 953 or 963 :drinkup so, was looking at local auctions and they dont go for that bad a price at all.

TALLRICK

I am beginning to wonder if track loaders are becomming extinct! With all the construction down here, I haven't seen one on the job in ages.

OKYLE

I am beginning to wonder if track loaders are becomming extinct! With all the construction down here, I haven't seen one on the job in ages.

yea, its really surprising, ive been using my 855D to dig basements for a looonngg time, always seemed to work great for that job and with a backhoe to do clean up, I guess im still living in the past with my current set up :idontgetit

I blame everyones apparent love for everything excavator related. :beatsme

rino1494

We have a old Case 450 track loader, no rops (1960's era). We use it for carrying stone, rip-rap and dirt in muddy areas where a truck won't go.

TALLRICK

They are useful, but it seems that so many ended up scrapped. This is why I am looking to get one for my place after I move. Tons more powerful than a skid loader, and rugged. Never excavated with one, but made several dirt roads and cleared lots too. I wish I knew someone who still had one.

dayexco

Anyone else build tracked loaders with the Cummins Inline 6 cylinders?

Im really loyal to Cummins Inline 4 and inline 6 cylinders, Ive been very lucky with em.

i wasn't very impressed a w/cummins 5.9 24 valve in my cx210 case excavator last wk. i bought the machine w/1400 hrs on it. injector pump took a dump. we've never run it out of fuel, but apparently the first owner did several times. the tech that replaced it, said running a cummins is a death sentence for their electronic pumps. something about porcelin/ceramic parts inside that don't get lubricated and hammer themselves apart. 1325.00 in parts later, it's running again.

OKYLE

i know of the bad Joo Joo, associated with the electrical injection system on the cummins. I was hoping it was a different type of injector pump for heavy equipment... apparently not different enough?

its wide spread in the Dodge truck arena...

It is most of the time caused by fuel loss, (As you said) and bam, youll end up having a dead injector pump.

so the injection pump loses prime or , the actually fuel pump that brings fuel to the injector pump dies and then all sorta of problems happen, usually causing the death of the injection pump very soon after.

On the dodges, this was wide spread because of a very crappy fuel pump to bring the diesel to the injection pump...... the Fuel pump would die without letting anyone know....

and then the Injection pump would be forced to suck fuel on its own, causing wear and tear, and hard starts reduced power, until the injector pump finally died from the extra work...

I like my older diesels 5.9 and 3.9, mechanical fuel pumps are a thing of incredible beauty!

Its horror stories about the newer stuff that scares the XXXXX outta me :/

Last edited by a moderator:

digdeeper

I wonder why track loaders take such a beating when it comes to resale value. Its seems at auctions they dont hold there value as well compared to other equipment. Even cats sale on the cheap side

Chris

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF digdeeper! :drinkup

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I wonder why track loaders take such a beating when it comes to resale value. Its seems at auctions they dont hold there value as well compared to other equipment. Even cats sale on the cheap side

Chris

Welcome to the forums Chris.:drinkup I see we are in the same neck of the woods - have you melted yet like the rest of us in this 100+ degree heat?:D

What kind/age of track loaders have you seen at these prices? I have an '04 953C that I bought new and it is by far the best machine in terms of resale value that I own. I have owned it for almost 3 years, put over 2k hours on it and right now I could get 75% of what I paid for it. Trackhoes on the other hand depreciate the worst from what I have seen. I have a '05 321CLCR with 2k+ hours on it and I would be lucky to get 50% of the purchase price back- of course this is the machine that I want to get rid of - murphy's law in effect.:Banghead

Dozers, artics and backhoes seem to hold their value pretty well. Vibratory rollers - not so good. Of course the used equipment market is pretty soft right now in my opinion due to the soft residential market. This could have something to do with used track loader prices since most of them down south are used in the residential work, either cutting basements or doing development work.:beatsme

If I had to pick one machine to make a living with I believe it would be a track loader.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
It would be hard to get any money for one in my neck of the woods. They used to be the premier clearing machine here. When excavators with thumbs came out that was the death of the track loader here.

An excavator with a thumb can clear land in about a half to two thirds of the time it takes a track loader to do the same job with little of the damage to the ground that comes with using a track loader. The excavator eats lots less fuel, is easier to keep running and costs far less to fix when something breaks.

An excavator will work on steeper ground, on softer ground and good operators are a lot easier to find for excavators.

It may be a regional thing but I don't see any future for track loaders at all here.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
An excavator with a thumb can clear land in about a half to two thirds of the time it takes a track loader to do the same job with little of the damage to the ground that comes with using a track loader. The excavator eats lots less fuel, is easier to keep running and costs far less to fix when something breaks.

An excavator will work on steeper ground, on softer ground and good operators are a lot easier to find for excavators.

It may be a regional thing but I don't see any future for track loaders at all here.

Hey John-
I agree, I think that track loaders are a regional machine. Down south it seems every dirt contractor will have at least one in there fleet. Most small owner/operators - a track loader and maybe an excavator is all they run. I have a couple dozers, hoes and artics but only one track loader. A loader may not be a production earth moving machine but it is a great utility machine and subs for a dozer pushing off fill pretty efficiently.

Here it is just the opposite - a track loader can clear and grubb in about 1/2 the time an excavator with a thumb can - with standing trees. Of course we have different vegetation - rolling to flat terrain with pine and hardwoods with dense undergrowth. As far as damaging the ground - we are clearing to build something and stripping the topsoil as soon as it is cleared - so ground disturbance is not an issue for our work.

One thing that will slow the track loader down is grubbing stumps - an excavator is much more efficient at this. After your loggers leave an excavator and track loader are the normal pairing for cleaning up. The hoe grubbs the stumps and the track loader piles the debris and rakes the ground.
I do agree that a track loader will use more fuel and is a higher maintenance machine than an excavator but we get double the production (with standing trees) so it is a worthwhile trade-off.

Also a track loader is a great support machine for the pipe crew - just add some over-the-bucket forks. Carrying pipe, manholes, stone and backfilling the ditch line can be accomplished with one machine. Although the next track loader I purchase will have a hydraulic quick coupler and a real set of forks. The bucket forks work fairly well and are a cheap alternative but a real set of forks is more durable and the line of sight is much better to the fork tines.

I am glad that manufacturers such as Deere and Cat are putting time and money into developing new models of track loaders - I have my eyes on the new 953D, it's a pretty sweet machine.