• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case Drain Filter Questions - Bobcat - Any experience with this?

swampdog

This Bobcat S300 has two case drain filters - one under the cab and one behind the rear left side access panel behind the tire. The one behind the tire is easy to get at and only has one hose going into each end of the filter. That should be easy to take apart and to remove the cartridge. But the one under the cab looks a lot tougher - it has a maze of hoses attached to both ends of the filter case and is jammed in under other stuff.

Any tips for changing these filters?

Is is necessary to drain the hydraulic oil tank and system first to avoid having five or ten gallons of oil leak out of the hoses after disconnecting them? Also, can one just clean the filters, or is it necessary to replace them?

Thanks for any help.

crewchief888

This Bobcat S300 has two case drain filters - one under the cab and one behind the rear left side access panel behind the tire. The one behind the tire is easy to get at and only has one hose going into each end of the filter. That should be easy to take apart and to remove the cartridge. But the one under the cab looks a lot tougher - it has a maze of hoses attached to both ends of the filter case and is jammed in under other stuff.

Any tips for changing these filters?

Is is necessary to drain the hydraulic oil tank and system first to avoid having five or ten gallons of oil leak out of the hoses after disconnecting them? Also, can one just clean the filters, or is it necessary to replace them?

Thanks for any help.

the one filter you see back by the rear tire is a case drain for the aux hydraulics
the one centeed in the machone with the 968 hoses running to it is the case drain for the drive motors.

you will drain the tank if you leave it disconnected for very long, one of those hoses runs directly to the bottom of the hyd tank. make sure you cap that one off
i usually leave the others uncapped. you loose a little oil, probably less than a gallon.

there is bronze filter, springs and a seal (flat oring) inside the "can"

clean or replace as you wish

:drinkup

swampdog

Job done; two new filters installed. I ended up draining the system first; fresh oil never hurts.

Bobcat must not have intended owners to change these case drain filters very often!!!! I would love to have a talk with the Bobcat engineers who designed this!! It took five or six hours to change both filters. The one under the cab is hidden far back, nearly impossible to get at, under a bunch of stuff and years of accumulated grease. Six hose fittings on that one filter, all hard to get at. The second filter, the one behind the left rear wheel is easy to remove.

There was a little bit of metal, mainly silver in color, in both filters. One filter also had two pieces of a white nylon type circular material in it. I wonder where they may have come from?

Overall, the filters were relatively clean.

Huck58

image.jpeg
the one filter you see back by the rear tire is a case drain for the aux hydraulics
the one centeed in the machone with the 968 hoses running to it is the case drain for the drive motors.

you will drain the tank if you leave it disconnected for very long, one of those hoses runs directly to the bottom of the hyd tank. make sure you cap that one off
i usually leave the others uncapped. you loose a little oil, probably less than a gallon.

there is bronze filter, springs and a seal (flat oring) inside the "can"

clean or replace as you wish

:drinkup

Huck58

Is this what you speak of and is the filter inside of this thing? I just bought this s590 it's veering to the left I see no oil leaks and I hear no noise but I'm assuming a drive motor is going bad