• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CASE CX130 starting trouble

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
:thumbsup

What concerns me slightly is how does the ign switch having activated the relay ( gizmo) let the starter know to turn / throw in the starter solenoid.
I am expecting that when I remove the ign switch and double check the wiring that one of those wires goes to the starter solenoid

BUT

If I am not getting a feed to the switch ( I hope that is the problem ) then doing away with the gizmo will not solve my problem, me thinks.
To add to my head scratching I cant get my brain around why there are two wires on the bottom of the gizmo that appear to do the same job. :beatsme
There are in fact 3 wires but as playing with 2 got me going I left everything else well alone.

Hopefully a bit of circuit testing will help pinpoint or at least narrow down the problem.
The problem might be as usual.......................in the seat. :beatsme[/QUOTE
DIODES

If I recall rightly the two wires are for (1) TO GROUND OUT THE GROUND ISOLATOR RELAY WHEN THE IGNITION SWITCH IS ACTIVATED.
(2) this wire comes from the timer relay which holds theGROUND ISOLATOR RELAY in after the key is turned off. There are diodes on these wires so I would check them before any thing else.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
DIODES

I would check them before any thing else.

Are those like piles? ......................a pita :D

Thank you very much stock, the more I read, the more I am looking forward to this little exercise in circuit discovery ...:rolleyes:

PS, whoever bought you the colour palate for Christmas, give it back. ;) :D

Last edited:

stock

Occupation
I have been down this road,cost me a packet and then a buddy who had a hitachi told me about the diodes on the loom so off we went looking,not knowing what I was supposed be looking for.Eventually we found little yellow and green square thinggies which we tested and found a faulty one replaced it and a timer circuit Eureka away she went.

Now the reason for the painting well I hate being Ignored and it appears to have been successful.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Now the reason for the painting well I hate being Ignored and it appears to have been successful.

LoL...Better mind him Rob, or he'll have Santa look into your file next year like he did mine this Christmas. Santa told me I should try harder to "shut up now and then". :laugh

stock

Occupation
Well I was never around long enough to be ignored,until recently that is,and now the surgeon won't allow me to paint,health and safety won't allow me up a ladder couple that with the risk assessment,method statement,cosh regs and 2006/7 general applications it's cheaper to delegate it Bill.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
We have contact

Thanks men :notworthy

Got to the machine today only to realise that the spare non Case key I have, only opens the cab door and activates the ignition but not the engine cover or side panel doors. :Banghead

No working party today so no team leader with the usual keys. I went solely to try and get the machine sorted.
About an hour later a key arrived.

First thing after the usual checks is see if it starts.............. no. Ok thats probably a good thing else I would never find the fault.

Hot wired the gizmo and fired the machine up, let it run while I had a cuppa and sorted out a plan :rolleyes:.

Shut the machine down and removed the dash panel to get at the ign switch plug.
Checked for power at the plug and got 3v :confused: double check, 2.9v, dont push it.
With a long piece of spare wire from the plug, out the window to the side panel, I checked the wire from top of gizmo for resistance ....... 0. I knew that, ............it wont start lol.

I checked the wire through the fuse and back into the loom/harness all ok.

Removed the batteries for access and cleared all the leaves out.
Released the harness and started to investigate it as it sort of T's behind the batteries and I wanted to check that out to make sure I was checking the correct wires at the switch.
All appeared OK.
I checked continuity from the switch to the gizmo on the other two wires. OK.

I found a small PITA.... sorry Diode, behind the seat and checked that, OK.

Need to remove panelwork from rear of cab to get at computer and rest of harness as everything appears ok so far.
Not happy, dont really want to be doing that. :(

Go back to battery area to the exposed loom and start to open it up a bit more so I know exactly what wires I have, colour, number of, etc. There is a larger Red wire that probably goes to the computer and a yellow wire I havent seen under the dash.
As I pull the wires gently apart out pops this.

The cutters are just for show. I had not touched the wire at this stage.

battery4.jpg

There was slight blackening on the other wires which confirms it had been arcing but not enough to burn through.

I double checked for resistance using my long wire from the switch and also from the other side of the break back to the gizmo, all confirmed it was the guilty party.
Fitted a new piece of wire, taped it up, put it all back together and
IT WORKS :thumbsup :beerchug

stock

Occupation
Well done ROB glad we were able to assist you with the challenge.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Your a patient fella Rob, and on a Sunday morning and all!!

Glad you got it sorted

CPS

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
hey hey hey...it's now A-OK! :woohoo

Rock on Rob! :drinkup

Nice pic, as usual. :cool:

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
cred! what cred!

Thanks guys.

I know I was very very lucky to find it when and how I did.

Hope my experience will help others in the future, but just as important have I regained a bit of credibility after my bulb fiasco :tong

chris-law

i know its a bit late rob , but the best place to start with a case is

a can of petrol and a box of matches lmao :avid
the wiring on most of the case excavators iv drove is shocking , i even had a 580 g set on fire while i was driving it :eek:

chris-law

i did call the fitter and ask if he wanted me to try and put it out or throw some more fuel on it :D, by the time the fire truck turned up the tyres were just popping;)

Last edited: