• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 850 K No Can

Jbailey

Good Afternoon,

I have an Case 850k dozer that has a NO CAN error. I call a tech out and we verified harness, he suggested that the display was bad. Cant find on so took mine to an electronic repair facility, they found problems, repaired it and I verified functioning on our 650k. also swapped joystick and it functions as well.

Looked through old threads and found some links that are no longer valid. please help..

Also took ecu out and repaired, Still no CAN. I am familiar with milliamp and testing, does anyone know how to fool it to release or run. I can't verify ECU as our 650k is series 3. A remain is (6-8 weeks out) and several thousand dollars.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Jason

nowing75

Do you have voltage on high and low side? Does the resistance measure correctly? Think it should be 120 ohms. Could be one of the modules causing a problem. You can disconnect one at a time till the voltage comes back.

Jbailey

Yes sir,

We measured everything, (CASE TECH) he said it was display, took my display to another dozer, 650k and it works fine. Same with joystick.

nowing75

would be interesting to put a scope on it and see if there are any data packets. I would think he could see at leased one module working.

mekanik

What symptoms are you chasing? No display or a no CAN error on the display?
I'm not familiar with Case electronics, It sounds like a CAN data link problem, broken wire or wire shorted to ground. What diagnostic connector does the unit have?

Jbailey

The problem is no fwd. or rev.

the connector in a 9 pin duetsch. The error is no can.

I had a tech come out and said he couldn't connect because no can.

I have had trouble finding another case mechanic to help diagnose so we have been testing according to other threads in here. Checking wires and verifying voltages..

mekanik

Most of my experience with CAN/J1939 has been with trucks but as far as I can tell the same protocol is used in equipment as well.
The voltage at the diagnostic connector with the key on measuring from pin C to ground should be close to 2.5 volts. Pin D to ground should be close to 2.5 volts and just slightly lower than pin C.
With the key off the resistance between pins C and D should be 60 Ohms. With the key off measuring between pin C and ground then pin D and ground the resistance should be infinite.
If the two data wires check out okay then I suspect one of the modules is taking down communication on the data bus. The next step would be to start unplugging them one at a time and key off for a few seconds and then back on and see if the No CAN message changes to a missing module.

data.jpg

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
Here is a can bus troubleshooting guide for a 650K, should be the same.

Attachments

• 650K Can Error.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

Jbailey

Now if any one has the procedure to be able to free wheel this dozer, my superintendent is raising hell because its stuck in the middle of a finished job.

I have service manual and parts manual, but cant seem to find any towing procedures.

Jbailey

Here is a can bus troubleshooting guide for a 650K, should be the same.
Thank you so much, it is the same except my 850k is series 2.

the display, joystick, is the same the ECU is totally different..

Could you point me in the direction of the 850k-650k series 2 troubleshooting guide?

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
Yes sorry I did send series 3, the only series 1 I have is a 1650k and it's very limited but here it is.

Attachments

• 1650K.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 4

Jbailey

no, I wish I did, lol, not really. I would love to get rid of it, but i wouldn't wish this on any one...

Can't get much support from case.

And we have 10 big case machines.

their solution is new harness and new modules, ie, display, joystick, ecu.