• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580sl neutral to forward delay ???

DIGGER47

Im noticing when the machine warms up there is a big delay when going from neutral to forward. Any ideas on what would cause this? Its got 6000 hrs on it now but has never had any drivetrain problems in the past.
Could this be something as simple as a filter or fluid issuer, or is it a bigger issue?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
We need a little more info to help.
Is this a powershift or shuttleshift?
How long is the delay?
Does it get better/worse/same with temperature increase?
Have you checked oil level with engine idling?

DIGGER47

It gets worse when it warms up. It's about a 5 second delay but if I hit the gas pedal to soon it takes even longer

alrman

Occupation
..... powershift or shuttle??
Checked oil when idling???

Delmer

..... powershift or shuttle??

dun, dun, dunnn....

it kinda does make a difference, and alrman might have to go on a six month vacation so if you want an answer you might want to help him out.

alrman

Occupation
Lever on left side if steering wheel. Shuttle I think?

Ummm..... They all have a lever on the LHS of steering wheel........does yours have a 4 speed gearshift on the RHS of steering wheel?

alrman

Occupation
Ok! The shuttleshift can have a couple of problems that will cause your hesitation.

1) Modulator piston may have a broken circlip in the transmission control valve
2) Transmission charge pump may be on the way out - my money is on this one, as the warmer oil will affect flow in a tired pump.
This can only truely be tested by using a flowmeter.

*** low oil level may give you the same symptom - as said earlier, check it with engine idling.

You may find this thread helpful - https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/showthread.php?32101-580l-trans-questions

:drinkup

DIGGER47

Ok thanks a lot.
I'm thinking it may be the pump as well. It seems like it just doesn't have the pushing power it used to. I have to use first gear just to push a full bucket of dirt now. Any idea what's involved in replacing the pump? Cost?

DIGGER47

Another thing I just thought of. I caught my guys starting out in 3rd gear and putting quite a load on the machine. I'm not sure how long the had been doing this but could that have anything to do with it?

alrman

Occupation
It's possible 'the guys' may have done some damage to the fwd clutch pack if this 3rd gear thing has been going on for a long time.
Pressure testing the transmission may confirm this.
Does the oil look dark? Smell burnt?

alrman

Occupation
Revert back to plan 'A'
I would check the valve & then suss out the pump.

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
Cut the trans filter apart and see if it has metal fragments throughout, if so, pump. A broke snapring in the modulator piston bore will kill the pressure but should affect both directions equally.

Check the oil running as alr said but lock the brakes, put it in gear and engage the shuttle. That freezes the interior parts from running and you get a oil reading without gear splash.

If you looked under it you know there is no pan to drop on L series, there is a litttle plate on the lower RH side of the reverser with a suction screen in the bore, this can be washed and reinstalled. You can also insert a magnet in the drain hole and see if you find anything.

Mel

Last edited:

DIGGER47

Thank you for the informative response. I did check the screen and it was clean. I'll try checking the filter next.
If it turns out being the pump any guess what it runs to have it replaced?

Last edited: