• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580M rear hub oil

Richard1

Occupation
CEO - Widman International SRL
The sticker on the side says the rear hub gets tractor hydraulic/transmission oil, but the bearings in the hub self destruct with this. Since the brakes are separate (on the differential), why not use a gear oil such as 85W-140 that was recommended on older 580's?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome to HEF Richard1! All machines here that I have anything to do with, run gear oil in the rear hubs.
Case use the same bearings & seals in the front hubs & use gear oil, why they use hytran on factory fills in the rear is probably for uniformity or simplicity during assembly :beatsme

Richard1

Occupation
Thanks for the response. I was real surprised to see the sticker, and see the bearings in pieces. One thing leads to another.

BlazinSS934

I don't see the problem running the Hytran fluid in the rear, I think the rear diff needs the lower viscosity to prevent chatter? Richard you didn't mention if your 580 is a 4wd machine.

alrman

Occupation
Just to clarify, when I speak of hub, I mean just the planetary part which rotates at the wheels - these I fill with gear oil.
The rear axle, which contains the crownwheel & pinion / brakes - these I fill with HyTran Ultra + rear axle additive.
:) :drinkup

Richard1

Occupation
Yep, it is 4x4, and I'm just talking about the wheel hubs. I know the brakes in the differential will need the HyTran type.

Are you using 80W-90 or 85W-140?

alrman

Occupation
Yep, it is 4x4, and I'm just talking about the wheel hubs. I know the brakes in the differential will need the HyTran type.

Are you using 80W-90 or 85W-140?

85/140

Doesn't my owners manual spec HyTran in the planetaries?

Probably does..... as I explained above, why do they spec gear oil for the front hubs & hytran for the rear? They run exactly the same bearings. I have seen many bearing failures at the rear hubs - the gear oil is all I will recommend to my clients.
In saying that we don't get snow, in a cold climate I may use a 90w.