• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580L kingpin bushing removal

QLW

Hello guys/gals,
I have a new to me 1997 580L 4WD that is in need of at least kingpins judging by the play. I have the service manual and see that they use some type of internal puller to remove the kingpin bushings from the axle. Any tips on the removal if I don't have the cool toy in the manual? I also have to replace the all U joints in the axle and front drive shaft so any quick tips there would be much appreciated.
Thanks

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Welcome to HEF @QLW

If you run some weld around the full id of the bushings & allow to cool, they will shrink & pull out very easily.

The CV U joints can be a difficult to press out in the field with just the use of a good vise - I have been known to torch the old crosses & bash out the universal cross caps & then use the vise to assemble. In saying that, if you don't have a good 6" vise available, you will struggle to do the job using just a hammer & punch.

You should replace the axle seals while doing this repair, the Carraro seals are very heavy duty & there is not an aftermarket equivalent to them. I always use genuine for this.

QLW

Thanks for the help. I have welder and torch and a couple of slide hammer pullers. Does anyone have a favorite supplier of the seals oem. I assume case is same as Carraro?

irncwby44

Welcome to HEF @QLW

If you run some weld around the full id of the bushings & allow to cool, they will shrink & pull out very easily.

The CV U joints can be a difficult to press out in the field with just the use of a good vise - I have been known to torch the old crosses & bash out the universal cross caps & then use the vise to assemble. In saying that, if you don't have a good 6" vise available, you will struggle to do the job using just a hammer & punch.

You should replace the axle seals while doing this repair, the Carraro seals are very heavy duty & there is not an aftermarket equivalent to them. I always use genuine for this.

This! Use OEM case parts also!