• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580k dipper cylinder piston cap screw size

Colonel Clank

Occupation
Semi-retired building maintenance tech
The dipper cylinder started leaking from the gland when I was pushing on a tree. I want to get tools together to take to the machine which is at a remote location and am trying to find the size of the piston cap screw head so I can get the right size 1" drive sockets. The machine is an '87 and the dipper cylinder shaft is 2.5". The service manual does not mention the size of the cap screw.

Same for my stabilizer cylinders. Shaft size on stabilizer is 2".

Btw, after heating the cap screw to about 400 degrees f to soften the loctite, I plan on using a torque multiplier (like the ones that are designed for truck wheels) to remove the cap screw. Service manual says 2800 ft/lbs!

Thanks,

Kevin

Colonel Clank

Occupation
Thanks Tinkerer! I had not seen this. I'll look to see what 1 1/2-12 translates to for socket size.

Colonel Clank

Occupation
Engineers edge.com shows a nominal socket size of 2 3/8" based 1 1/2" thread size. Thanks again.

Colonel Clank

Occupation
After further review, it appears to be 2.25" not 2.375". I had been looking at the "heavy bolt" chart. Fastenal's chart shows grade 8 cap screws such as these requiring a 2.25" socket based on a 1.5" bolt size. Thusly my stabilizer cylinder cap screw would require a 1.5" socket based on a 1" cap screw.

Billrog

Occupation
band mill , backhoe and dump truck
I'd take an 8' long piece of pipe with you for a snipe. I've taken a few doz. apart and never had to heat any. I have a 3/4" socket set it seems to cover all the sizes and their not expensive to buy. A solid not flex end breaker bar is good to have I've broke a couple of flex end bars.

Colonel Clank

Occupation
I know it's been a while but I wanted to follow up on my cylinder project. I got it apart.

The gland removal required oxy fuel torch heat around the cylinder to get it removed. We made a jig out of 1" steel to hold the eye of the cylinder. The jig was bolted to an old lathe bed that weighed about 1k lbs. One guy heating and another guy hanging on 10' of cheater bar with the Otc 1266 gland nut wrench. Fought for every inch of turning. Fortunately The threads were not damaged. I did have to clean the corrosion in the threads with a wire brush and thread file. I'm speculating that the corrosion was due to water getting in over years from a bad wiper seal.

The piston cap screw required a 2.25" socket and I could not move it. Ended up taking the ram/piston/gland assembly to a machine shop where they heated the cap screw and loosened it with a hydraulic torque wrench and hex plate system.

Im ordering the seal kit and will post after I get the cylinder back in the hoe.

Colonel Clank

Occupation
Update. I have put 70 hours on the machine since changing the dipper cylinder seals. No issues with it yet. I used bulldog seals. ( The bulldog boxes say made in USA. ) This winter I'll change out most of the other seals with the same brand of kit. Two are leaking and they all are very old.

Clank

rickw

We have a Hyd. shop down the road. If I can get gland loose, I take Ram w/ packing kit in and they disassemble and reassemble. Then I bring home and slide back in tube. Cost is usually about $75 labor per rod. Not bad in my opinion for a guy and a shop full of tools. They have the huge machine that removes the piston cap screw then the same machine re torques it to the correct spec. And usually if already disassembled I drop off one day and pick up the next if I carry in the repack kit.

rickw

I repacked all of my 580 SL Series 2 cylinders last winter. Except the boom cylinder, we replaced it a couple years ago.

rickw

We had 3 we could not get gland loose on with our ebay style spanner wrench. 1 of the outrigger cylinders and both of the loader lift cylinders. I was expecting the swing cylinders to be a complete pain but they came right apart so I was able to slide the rams out and then back in without removing tubes. The metal stabilizer rings in swing cylinders were a little tough to get started.