• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580K Brake issue

grapeman

I recently purchased a Phase 1 580K backhoe. The seller said it had a brake problem. Here is what I found out by "testing"If you get on the machine and do not use the brakes at all, everything is good. ( except brakes) The first time you use brakes, they tend to "hang up" You can feel them dragging and bogging down tractor. The manual calls for 3 1/2 inch of free travel on pedal. There is only about 1/2 inch. Here is what I suspect....by reading the forums I found out that you do not use brake fluid in system, but rather tractor/transmission fluid. I think someone has put brake fluid in system, thus causing the problem. Here is my question(s).
1) How can you tell for sure if the system has brake fluid in it as opposed to tractor/transmission fluid?
2) Assuming it is brake fluid, what parts needs to be replaced. I know the 2 master cylinders need to be rebuild and the flex lines going to the actuators need to be replaced. Is there anything else that needs to be done to get brake system restored to take the proper fluid.
Does someone have some experience on this? Would also be interested to see if others think this may be the problem.
thank you

Swetz

Occupation
Electric & Gas Company
grapeman,

I do not have a bunch of experience to share, however, I do know that if you take the fluid that is currently in the system and mix it with water, one of two things should happen...brake fluid is water soluble, and turns a little whitish when mixed with water...Oil on the other hand floats on water. by taking the fluid that is currently in the brake system, you can quickly find out if it is indeed brake fluid if you pour some into a cup of water.

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
If you only have 1/2" travel perhaps the brakes are adjusted too high and this will cause the brakes to lock and bind. If it is brake fluid in there the slave cylinders need new seals as well. But first take the green rubber boots off the top of the slave cylinders, I believe you need a 5/8" and an 11/16" wrench. Break the locking nut loose and back the adjuster nut off so you have more brake pedal travel see how that goes. #2 what is in the transaxle for fluid? If someone just put gear lube in without a limited slip additive that can cause these brakes to bind a bit as well and will cause brake chatter. . It should be Case Transaxle Fluid or gear lube with limited slip added.

grapeman

Okay I took swetz advice and it is brake fluid. I drained all the fluid out and am going to flush and refill with proper fluid. Maybe I’ll get lucky and perhaps the brake fluid did not ruin the seals. When I opened the bleed valve the pedal resumed travel to end of stroke. The actuator and the slave cylinder are different name for same thing right.?

Outdoort

The master chlinder is the piston device located below the reservor. The slave cylinder is usually the secondary cylinder that is downstream from the master cylinder that would acuate the brakes/clutch. Think the master controls the slave. I dont know much about the braking systems on these thinks since i just got my first backhoe about a week ago (super k).

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I took pictures of the manual, but Daughter in law was tinkering with my phone, now I can't send pictures to my computer.
They say with wheels in the air, tighten brake adjuster until significant drag is felt, then back off two revolutions.
I don't know whether brake fluid ruined your cylinders, but in the event of a leak, you DON'T want it leaking into your transaxle!
Case specified Case TCH fluid, now they specify Case/IH Hy Tran. I bought a 580K once, the seller was proud it had just had a complete fluid change. Used generic fluids. Case Transaxle lube has additives to make the brake friction surfaces work properly. With the generic stuff, (probably 90 weight gear oil) use the brakes going down a steep hill it sounded like grinding gears. With proper fluid it does not.

grapeman

Update on brake issue. I drained all the fluid out of the brake system. The first fluid to come out appeared to be the correct fluid. I think the brake fluid was just added to top off the system and I’m not certain that it contaminated the entire system. Anyway I flushed all the fluid out by bleeding the brakes. I adjusted the brakes per the manual. And yes they were adjusted to tight. After adding the proper fluid and adjusting the brakes they seem to work fine. And now I have proper pedal travel. Did I just get lucky?

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I hope you did. These have a fussy crossover valve. You step on two peddles at once the valve is open to equalize the peddle travel of the two masters. when you press one peddle the valve closes. If I recall the parts include a little ball & two springs.