• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580k Boom NO SWING RIGHT

CSaley

Hey guys i just recently bought a 91' or 94' Case 580k 4wd backhoe, its got about 5k hrs on it, and runs beautifully. all hydraulics are strong, no extrenda hoe or 4in1.

Anyway, i am having probably moving the hoe RIGHT, no problem going left. From center the hoe will go left quick then once it gets about a foot and a half from the far left position, it will go slower, (which i think is somewhat normal?) then i will hit the right peddle to bring it back to the right, and it will go normal speed all the way back to center and then about 15* past the center to the right and it will not go any further.

I am not sure what to check out or what is wrong with the machine.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Chris,
Your problem is most likely the cam roller which runs on the plate welded to the lower side of the top pin on the BH swing tower.
They can sieze up & form flat spots on the roller face. This puts the swing adjustment out.
Check the roller & the bolt which holds the BH top pin in place - make sure the top pin is not moving & all adjustment linkages are tight.
If the roller has seized & flat spots are visible - this needs to replaced before anything else can be adjusted.

check this old thread https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...2-A-few-Issues-on-my-580K&highlight=580+swing

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Sounds like you may have a problem with the swing sequence valve or its linkage. It's located in the area of the swing post, where all the hoses go from machine, through the swing post, and back to the hoe cylinders.

On edit: well, I'll be darned...alrman beat my by one minute. lol :D

580K swing sequence valve.gif

CSaley

i checked this out, when i move it to the right, it doesnt make it far enough for the cam roller to contact plate on the pin. i proceeded to disconnect the right side swing cylinder, turned the machine on, opened the swing valve, and the cylinder did nothing. tried cracking hoses to see if the cylinder was getting pressure, when i opened the valve, neither hose was "squirting" out, just pouring out.. where do i go from here? thanks again

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
It could be failed piston seals in the right cylinder, but I'm thinking not because you don't have any problem swinging left. The way the oil circuit works, oil sent to the piston side of left cylinder is also sent to the rod side of right cylinder to make the boom swing right. Then sends oil the the piston side of right cylinder and rod side of left cylinder to swing left. If you had failed piston seals on a cylinder, it would typically affect operation in both directions.

You may have a problem with the circuit relief valve located in the swing sequence valve that controls the right swing circuit.

alrman

Occupation
Chris,
the cam roller should be in contact with the cam plate at all times, if it isn't check all pivots & linkages & make sure nothing is siezed.
The spring tension between the follower & the cam should be very strong. IE lifting the follower from the cam plate & holding it using a 18" prybar requires a fair bit of effort

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Chris,
the cam roller should be in contact with the cam plate at all times, if it isn't check all pivots & linkages & make sure nothing is siezed.
The spring tension between the follower & the cam should be very strong. IE lifting the follower from the cam plate & holding it using a 18" prybar requires a fair bit of effort

Thanks alrman. Been a few years since I've been around a K, couldn't really remember how the cam and follower operated. :notworthy

CSaley

here is a picture of the linkage and the roller when the boom is as far right as it goes.

what should i check to see if its seized? doesnt look like many parts?

Attachments

• case2.JPG
    case2.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,602

alrman

Occupation
That pivot - item #8 or 17 & spacer #13 or 21 - in diagram above would be first port of call.
Have you tried to move the cam follower towards the cam plate in that position?
Those shiny spots on the roller - are they flat spots? does the roller turn?

Last edited:

CSaley

That pivot - item #8 or 17 & spacer #13 or 21 - in diagram above would be first port of call.
Have you tried to move the cam follower towards the cam plate in that position?
Those shiny spots on the roller - are they flat spots? does the roller turn?

There are two flat spots that are about 1/8" on the cam. the cam roller does spin, but not "freely" i can move it with my hand. and i was not able to move the linkage with my hand.

alrman

Occupation
Chris,
you will need to order a new camroller - if you go to a local bearing supplier it should be a CR-1-XB. (fraction of the cost of Case Dealer)
Disconnect rod end #7 or clevis pin #2 (whichever is easier to get to) & the pivot should move freely - if it doesn't remove the pivot bolt #18 & free the pivot & then keep it greased if you have #9
I have sometimes found a siezed clevis #2 - make sure it is ok - pivots freely on the spool
If you disconnect #7or #2 & the pivot does move freely, the problem is in the sequence valve

Last edited:

bewilliams

Occupation
general contractor, roofing, excavation
Chris,
you will need to order a new camroller - if you go to a local bearing supplier it should be a CR-1-XB. (fraction of the cost of Case Dealer)
Disconnect rod end #7 or clevis pin #2 (whichever is easier to get to) & the pivot should move freely - if it doesn't remove the pivot bolt #18 & free the pivot & then keep it greased if you have #9
I have sometimes found a siezed clevis #2 - make sure it is ok - pivots freely on the spool
If you disconnect #7or #2 & the pivot does move freely, the problem is in the sequence valve

I'm having the same problem! My cam roller stays in contact with plate, it's wore down! Gonna get a new one on Monday! But I don't think it's the problem! Boom was able to swing fine! I heard a pop and it hasn't been able to swing since! Could it be a failed cylinder or do you guys think its a bad sequence valve? And how do I fix the sequence valve?

alrman

Occupation
Simple things first bewilliams, replace the roller & you may need to tweek the adjustment a little. Then we'll see about the valve.
It's not out of the ordinary to hear weird things when the cam is out of adjustment - pressures are fighting against each other.
Most importantly - stay calm.....;)

Jimwilson

Saw this discussion my 580 k did the same thing working fine was swiping dirt in a ditch heard a pop and won't swing now. Any suggestions? Thanks

sheepfoot

Need to check the arm and roller first that rides along the cam plate mounted to the top swing tower pin. The arm could be sticking, roller flat spot, jumped off the cam, bolt sheared that keeps the cam in time. See comments and parts pics above.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
The swing sequence valve has balls, and springs . When mine failed to swing one way I found corroded springs, and one broken. New springs, and balls, good as new.

Willie

Jimwilson

Need to check the arm and roller first that rides along the cam plate mounted to the top swing tower pin. The arm could be sticking, roller flat spot, jumped off the cam, bolt sheared that keeps the cam in time. See comments and parts pics above.

everything looks good outside but i did find if i strap the roller back from the cam so the control rod is pulled all the way out of the swing sequence valve it will work but jumpy

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Other manufacturers use a different system to keep violent stops at the end of a swing from ripping off the swing tower. My sense is that Case's solution is somewhat primitive. The swing sequence valve gets to a point, then slows oil flow to the cylinders. It is prone to being a mess. It's a nasty job, but you have to repair it.

Willie