• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580G???

paddy

i have a g and live in ireland bought it cheap with some issues like top kickpin worn steering in trouble and some seal gone. it has a david brown engine think they were made in france but not sure. it has verticale jacks and a sliding back hoe. i have issues at the moment with the seals in the clamps for the sliding back hoe and wondering has any one got ideas on how to change them

ClayShifter

Occupation
Heavy plant operator, Imerys Minerals.
i have issues at the moment with the seals in the clamps for the sliding back hoe and wondering has any one got ideas on how to change them

Common fault on Case backhoes, even up to the SK series.

Starting with the lower hydraclamp seals;
Undo the bolts along the bottom of the slide frame that clamp the frame to the slide rails and remove the inside plate.
With the bucket on the ground power the dipper down slowly so the bottom of the slide frame moves away from the slide rail.
When there's enough room between the rail and the frame, put the hydraclamp lever into lock position and power the bucket crowd ram slowly, this will force out the 2 bottom hydraclamps and allow you to change the seals. ( a bucket under each of the 2 clamps to catch the oil is handy )
clean out the recess, fit new seals and refit the hydraclamps, lower the frame back into it's correct position and refit the plate and bolts.

The top is done in a similar way, but you need to support the slide frame (we use a a couple of large wood blocks ) so it doesn't drop to the floor when the bolts and plate is removed.

If there's 2 of you with all the equipment to hand you should be able to swap all 4 sets of seals in a couple of hours.

coopers

Just out of curiosity, why not wait for a U.S. made case hoe to buy? I know this one is nearby and available but there's got to be a C, D, E, or up available in your area.

paddy

got my pins in and must get the oil circulating to theclamps before i can tackle it. but thanks for great advice

mrmattville

The only 580G I ever came across was a gray market, side shift backhoe, with the basic tractor being a David Brown running gear. Not something easy to get parts for in the USA, I suspect. Not fun to work on either. Just my opinion!

esbemail

I realize this is an old thread, but I came upon this as I was bored and researching my dads old G. I might be able to fill in a few points...

Dad bought his in 1985 when the US dollar was worth $1.34 vs the British pound. Basically the French made G, sold by a Case dealer in England was 1/3 cheaper than a US built version because of the dollar difference. Purchase price included delivery to any US port. Terms were 1/3 down and balance due upon delivery/pickup. Also part of the deal was that upon delivery, if dad didn't like anything about the machine, the dealer, would by check or cash, by the local contact refund the down payment and $250 for his time and trouble.

Dad used his for over 6000 hours with only minor trouble. Overall fit and finish was perfect! No paint runs, no thin spots, doors and panels aligned perfectly. Also all the decals were placed perfectly. Warning stickers were in US and French. In all the years he owned it, we never found a paint run or drip. This could not be said of other, US machines he purchased later, to include an E, a Super E and lastly the 2 590's. The G actually out lasted both E's and was only sold when dad got rid of all his help and after the purchase of the first 590.

As previously stated, it was a Case machine with a David Brown drive line, including a new at the time, heavy rearend that would show up in US machines a year later. When he bought the machine, he also had the dealer include a complete set of manuals. Any part he ever needed was available at Case either in stock or next day... drive line parts, if we needed them sooner, were available over the counter at the local David Brown dealer. All of the filters either were on the shelf at Case or crossed to a Wix number that was available in stock at the local Napa. I suspect the non-stocked filters were David Brown filters...

Dad's machine was a hard loaded digger. It had everything except A/C and dirt pads. The dealer said he could get them, but it would put the machine 3 months out... Dad ended up just buying a set of dirt pads at the local case dealer and of course they were in stock... lol! His had standard, center mount backhoe, (not side shift) 4x4, cab, heat, extendahoe, 4-in-1 front bucket, front drive shaft guard and an interior that was like the best Caddy of the day to include padded wheel wells and a padded rubber floor mat.

The only problem I can remember he really had over the years was a roll pin in the 4x4 shifter. The pin was located inside the drop down transfer case and would break if you slammed the 4x4 shifter down (putting it in 4 wheel drive) hard. The first time it was a PITA to change. However by the second time we realized that David Brown put a nice access hole and you could change the pin in a matter of minutes...

The included picture is when we went to look at the machine in the Houston ship yard in 1985. The machine showed 2/10's of an hour. Not shown in my picture were the nice folding rear tail lights that would fold out for transport. I will see if that picture is still around, I can remember it, just can't fine it...

Attachments

• 1985 Family wNew Backhoe -Texas.jpg
    1985 Family wNew Backhoe -Texas.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 162