• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580CK finally started but has some problems

Tinkerer

Is there a reason you are considering tack welding the pins ? Not a criticism just curious why. I am not familiar with your backhoe, but can't you put a punch on the bottom of them force them up ? Or are they in a blind hole ?

nova481

Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
Wish I could help you with the hydraulic fluid level Mrkool but I barely get by working on my old backhoe

Wait to you get to the brakes they are impossible

MrKool

I didn't know about using different size pins in the gland tool Tinkerer and you said something about loosing yours and couldn't find them with a metal detector, so I thought if I just tacked the gland wrench pins in I wouldn't loose them, but Trevor says they come in different sizes for different cylinders, so don't weld them in place, going to be learning a new trade working on this backhoe.

No Tinkerer, I haven't attempted to remove the cylinder head pins yet, I was just asking for advice on the best way to get them out, like relieve the pressure by lowering the hoe bucket to the ground
them taking a sledge hammer and a piece of short pipe and drive it out? trying not to bugger it up in the process?

This side looks like it needs to come up to come out, but the other side looks like it need to go down to come out, does that sound logical?

Yea nova, I wish you could to, but you didn't have to bring up the brakes, cause as I was sitting on the seat pushing on the throttle, I noticed what looked like brake fluid pouring down on to the brake pedal.

Are those brake cylinders up under the dash? can they be rebuilt or have to be replaced? The fix-it list is getting longer every time I go back up there, machine might not be worth 4000....

Tinkerer

The pins in the gland wrench are held in place with an allen screw. I didn't check the screws for being tight when I received the wrench new. That is why one pin fell out.Those pins have a different size on each end. You just take them out and flip them over when the need arises. Don't forget to check if there are small lock screws located where the gland and cylinder barrel match together . Case used them on lot of cylinders but not all cylinders.

Last edited: