• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580c wont go fwd

Chris580c

Hey y'all my case 580c slowly stopped going into fwd gear . if I'm going downhill its fine, but flat land and up is a no go. Read so many posts I'm more confused than when i started. I have drained it pump was clean reassembled and filled with prem tractor fluid. no better. Reverse is still strong, but I'm at a loss were to go from here. Ive read that it may be the linkage, but moved the lever fwd manually to no avail. My guess is that if it was bc i dont have hy tran in there it would be the same problem in reverse. IDK if thats accurate or not btw when on stabilizers tires spin fwd and reverse. just not on ground. please help and thanks in advance

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
One possibility is that the belleville washers in the forward clutch pack may be broken.
Do you have a service manual ?
I had a 580ck that needed a rebuild on the power shuttle, orings were nicked and the clutch packs were toast.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Well, it was interesting, I had ordered the service manual, have never split a tractor before and the machine only had an aftermarket cab. With the cab out of the way, unbolting the loader frame from the rear axle then remove rear axle and 4 speed gearbox, make note of the shims on the input shaft and coax the power shuttle out, all told about 16 hours and a lot of parts from the case dealer.

Chris580c

Send me your email address in a Private Message.
You will then be able to download it For FREE !
So I got the manual. Thanks.

I’m looking at pressure gauges to test the shuttle as the manual suggests. What kind of pressure gauges will I need ? And is it the next right move?

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
So I got the manual. Thanks.

I’m looking at pressure gauges to test the shuttle as the manual suggests. What kind of pressure gauges will I need ? And is it the next right move?
My ck580 had a clutch pressure gauge on the dash and I think normal was 300 psi The shuttle lever and the 'clutch' pedal work together to send the fluid in the right direction, there should be test ports on the clutch valve. I'm not near my book but I bet someone here knows right off.

Chris580c

Yeah it has a test protocol im going to run once the test gauges arrive. Only dash gauges that work are battery and oil temp. Not sure if thats engine or trans though. Thanks for the tip.

Chris580c

My ck580 had a clutch pressure gauge on the dash and I think normal was 300 psi The shuttle lever and the 'clutch' pedal work together to send the fluid in the right direction, there should be test ports on the clutch valve. I'm not near my book but I bet someone here knows right off.
Can you please explain the Clutch pedal and shuttle lever working together? I thought since they all stop the loader/hoe they were all brake?

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Your shuttle 580C is totally different animal from fast's 580CK. Your C has a shuttle that is separate unit and can be removed and rebuilt without splitting the tractor. As stated earlier, something probably wrong with forward clutch pack or related parts.

Chris580c

Your shuttle 580C is totally different animal from fast's 580CK. Your C has a shuttle that is separate unit and can be removed and rebuilt without splitting the tractor. As stated earlier, something probably wrong with forward clutch pack or related parts.
Thanks stinky.. that's a relief.

Chris580c

I’m kind of a newb to clutches and shuttles I’ll keep you posted.

Chris580c

So I’m gonna pull this shuttle out this afternoon and see what I can see. There are quite a few options for me on BrokenTractor. Anyone think I could get by with the shuttle clutch and plate kit or is it best to get the whole rebuild?IMG_3077.pngIMG_3077.png

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
Spring for the master kit and replace the pump while you're in there. What kind of wrenching experience do you have? Do you have the drive train service manual?

Chris580c

I have the service manual which I believe has the information needed. As far as wrenching… I am a hobbyist at best. I fix what’s wrong with my vehicles (brakes, water pump etc) but this would be a leap for me to say the least.