• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580c shift forks

Torin

Occupation
Ranch/construction
hi i have a 580c that I just had the differential rebuilt in had both of the covers pulled to seal them up and for the life of me I can't seem to get the gears and shift forks lined up properly to where it works properly. What might I be missing? Thanks

Torin

Occupation
Ranch/construction
That's it the top plate is off and the shifter is out of it now too. The forks are still attached to the plate

Tinkerer

syncro.png The forks will drop right down into the synchronizer grooves when you get them lined up correctly. # 18 is one of the synchronizers. You will need to take a bar and move the position of the synchronizers. Then the shifting rod will drop in. Look carefully at the forks in the first photo I posted. You can see the grooves on top of them that have to be lined up before the shifting rod will drop in correctly.

Last edited:

Torin

Occupation
Ranch/construction
I've been able to drop it down on them but it doesn't shift through right. I had it right once and thought I had pulled it off careful enough to put a bead of sealant down but it had moved. What position do I need to set it to?

Tinkerer

Neutral usually. You can slide the shift lever sideways back and forth when you get it right. I prefer to take the pin out of the shift rod and remove it from the cover. Put the cover on and if the fork grooves are lined up, drop the lever in and replace the retaining pin.

Last edited:

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
hi i have a 580c that I just had the differential rebuilt in had both of the covers pulled to seal them up and for the life of me I can't seem to get the gears and shift forks lined up properly to where it works properly. What might I be missing? Thanks

Sometimes you need to turn the input shaft by hand while attempting the gear change. Just to get things lined up.
Just assuming you might not have, as fitting the top cover is usually pretty straight forward.