• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580C info

clunan1

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I've recently bought a mid to late 70's Case 580C. I have a few questions I am hoping you guys can answer.

It has the 207 motor, so what weight oil do you recommend? Could I use a 15 40w Rotella?

Where do you add hydraulic fluid and what brand do you recommend?

Thanks!

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
The recommended oil for a 207 engine is mono-grade 30.
You could use 15w40, as I'm sure there are people using it - I like to use the 30 grade.
Recommended oil for hydraulics is 10w or you could use a 68 grade hydraulic oil.

The plug on LHS side of machine is both level & filler. Often see a 90deg fitting installed here. Machine should be in 'travel' position to check - hoe folded up; stabilizers raised; & loader bucket flat on ground.

Brands? Get a good name & is convienient.....

Attachments

• 580c chassis.gif
    580c chassis.gif
    17.4 KB · Views: 2,597

clunan1

Thanks for the info! My shuttle shift lever won't stay in place. If I put it in drive it will fall back to neutral. As long as I hold it drive, it opperates fine. Any idea why it won't stay in forward or reverse?

TheOldMan

Occupation
retired
Between the shuttle shift solenoid and the shuttle case, there is a ball detent, spring and ball that keeps the shuttle in reverse, netral and forward. On mine the spring was broken and half gone, and it did the same thing that yours is doing. Page 184 of the parts manual shows items 55 - 56 - 57. 57 is the actual shift lever. All you have to do is unscrew the shuttle solenoid, and you'll see what it is. DON'T LOSE THE BALL - DON'T BUY #57 shift lever, P/N D77621. There has been a later modification made to the internals of the shuttle, and the new lever is not drilled for the detent ball, and you can't drill it, it's too hard. Use your old one. If you don't have a parts manual, operators manual, and service manual. PM me with your snail mail address, and I'll mail you a copy. Somone on here was knd enough to do that for me.

Dapperdan16

Hello everyone I'm totally new to the Heavy Equipment forum and I am looking for some info. I just purchased a 1980 Case 580c and want to do a full service to it, my problem is I need a manual so i have all the correct info such as what oil, hydro fluid, filters etc. there are so many different manuals ranging from $10 on a cd rom to $250 for a 1,000 page binder, could someone please tell me where I can get the best manual for this machine. any info would help Thank you guys

Dapperdan16

Hello TheOldMan I'm totally new to this forum as well I just purchased a case 580c would it be possible for you to mail me a copy of the parts, operators, and service manual for my 580c as well, if so how do i send you a message with my info

nova481

Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
Hello TheOldMan I'm totally new to this forum as well I just purchased a case 580c would it be possible for you to mail me a copy of the parts, operators, and service manual for my 580c as well, if so how do i send you a message with my info

If you want I have both service and parts manual on CD. I can make copies and send them to you. I'm in New Jersey also.

Dapperdan16

I appreciate the offer but often times I'll be working on the machine and not have acess to a computer, I just got a response from another member who is going to mail a book Thanks again

Montanaguy

Hi there,

I hope it is okay to ask this question on this thread as i'm not able to start a new thread yet. I am a new owner of a 1979 580c and have used it a few times for snow removal. I have used chains for traction but chains are rubbing inside frame of my machine. I have searched to try to locate spacers for wheels with no luck in my area. I have had alot of recommendations to just have them made by machine shop.I think making the spacers is what I would like to do. My father in law is very handy with metal and I believe he has all will need to make them. My backhoe is at our cabin so I don't have it close so I can check out the wheel dimentions.I was wondering if anybody has any experience or suggestions in making them. I was wondering if I should make them tight to the inside rim diameter and if 1" to 1 1/4" would be alright for thickness. Also the best bolt to get and should they be tightened to a certain pressure. Also if you can think of anything else I might not be thinking of. I sure appreciate any advice. Thanks

Montanaguy

Hi
I'm new to heavy equipment forum and was not able to pull up your e-mail. Is it best to just put my e-mail on this quick reply for you?

GMpower455

Wheel Spacers

I am also new to the forum, but I may have some info of importance. Montanaguy, Wheel spacers "may" work although the strength of mounting of the wheel would be terribly compromised! The part of tha axle that the wheel center fits over provides the actual strength for the wheel, the bolts actually only hold the wheel in place over the axle and prevent rotational shearing under power. I had to make a special set of chains for my 580C to avoid interference with the ROPS myself. Also some AG wheels have a different offset which will provide the needed space. There is a company called Abiline machine in Kansas that may be able to help.