• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580C Hydraulic question

Dead Silence

New to the forum, love it already!!!

Ok, my brother came by this 78' 580C basically as a gift. 4 injectors and a pump rebuild later, we got it off the trailer. It's in pretty rough shape, but I figure what the heck, it runs now. I'm rebuilding the brakes, and replacing the steering cylinders in "Phase II", "Phase III" will be rebuilding the leaking cylinders and replacing hoses.

I knew the packing on the boom cylinders was shot because when we tried raising the boom to the lock position just using the starter to turn the pump, both cylinders gushed around the shaft. For the brief time I had it running, the cylinders continued to leak fluid even in the locked position. My question is: Is there pressure on both sides of the piston to keep it in position? My experience has been with industrial hydraulics, and pressure is only used to move the piston, then the valve holds it in place, and the excess fluid goes through the pressure relief valve back to the tank. I know the boom cylinders need rebuilding, so will all be well after the repairs?

Thanks in advance

irncwby44

As far as I know pressure is only used to move the piston. Had this problem with my 580c and rebuilt boom, dipper, and outrigger cyls. They work great now. You should be fine as long as the spools in your backhoe valve are good.