• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580B weak in foward and reverse

melben

Occupation
Retired 50 Yrs with Case dealership
TC relief valve

Fellas, the 580 series prior to the C series had a Torque Converter relief valve right beside the main trans valve under the tank. If a shaving or other foreign material is lodged in the spool it will not close to allow TC charge pressure to build. Locate the narrow casting with a sender on top, remove the small plug with an allen wrench and install a 200 LB gage and start the engine. You should show about 30 - 40 lbs. If nothing, remove the valve, disassemble it and clean it and reinstall it. Also the clutch spool position is important, the spool should be set so that there is 3.100 inches from the center of the pin that slides in the support bracket to the center of the rear bolt holding that strap on. The clutch cam is on a eccentric bolt and can be turned to the proper setting by loosening the lock bolt on the other end of the bolt under the tank. Also Maximum High Idle is important so make sure all the throttle linkage is adjusted so the pump stop screw is going against the stop on the pump body

Papa Goose

I replaced a side window with 1/8" Lexan, which worked OK, but 1/4 would be much better for the rear window. I wouldn't use Plexiglas - it shatters into sharp pieces if you hit it hard enough. Polycarbonate (Lexan, Tuffak, etc.) is a lot tougher, although it's a bit more flexible. You can actually bend Polycarb in a bending brake - I've made all sorts of useful things out of the stuff (try that with Plexiglas if you enjoy trips to the ER). Also, if you've got the $$, you might want to get the scratch-resistant version. MSC is a good source.

One other thing - all plastics will eventually crack when subjected to vibration, even Polycarb. Best way to forestall this is to carefully sand the edges smooth after cutting it to fit. A slight bevel is even better. I use a handheld disk sander. Don't take the paper off until you've cut and sanded it.

Have you figured out how the rubber seal works yet? There's a trick - let me know if you need help with that. Whatever you do, don't just cut it off - the old seal will work fine and the new stuff is really expensive!!

Don't ever worry about asking too many questions here - that's what this forum is all about!!

PG

bigskyelliott

regarding the filter canister. if cant get on line you should be able to go to the closest machine shop and have them re-thread it. it being aluminum should be easy and able to do while waiting. as for the front counter weight, i was told that les shwab will come out and fill the front tires with a water/anti freeze mixture. not alot of weight. probably max 60lbs a tire, 120lbs total weight added .

Busagrrrrrrr

i have a 580bck with the extendahoe. im not sure what year it is. the serial number is 8758473. i was trying to finger out how to tell the year from the serial number. i had the local tire shop put water in my front tires with a tube as my tires were so filled with tiny wholes. is this ok or is it better to do the water in a tubless tire?

Busagrrrrrrr

sorry guys, im a noob. hello all. i'll be bugging you guys and picking your brains occasionally. ive owned my case for about 2 1/2 years. i need brakes but am unsure how to check/change linings. any help on that will helpful. thanks in advance.

Busagrrrrrrr

ill post pics as soon as the site will allow. be forewarned, she a bit rusty. i paid 2k for her from a hunting camp that was about to upgrade. i have a tall open cab and was wondering if anyone has manufactured doors or enclosed the cab totally on one of these.

Busagrrrrrrr

what size battery does the 580bck with the 188 eng take. mine exploded on me yesterday and blew the side out of itself. this battery was in it when i bought it. it was a sealed typed battery so i could check the fluid level in it.

kwooddell

I have a case 580B that travels fine in forward but is weak in reverse. It will go in reverse as long as the backhoe is not on any sort of incline. The pressure reading is always 160-165psi in Neutral/Forward/Reverse. On the power shuttle control valve the manual says that you can add shim stock on the clutch pressure regulator plug (.0209 = 5psi, .0418 = 10psi) to change the pressure. Any thoughts? Where is the pump that supplies the feed for this? Thanks

Case Carlos

Occupation
crane operator
Hi pardon me for intruding but i have a 580b ck not sure what year but i think its mid 70's with 33 backhoe it works great for an old machine, it seems to scream in reverse it works normal in forward, can anyone tell me why. i have changed the tranny fluid and filters.
2.Would anybody care to tell me the difference between the g159 and the g188 engine on my parts book the 188 shows prestolite distributor and the g159 show the autolite distributor i'm sure i have the g159 because of the stamp on the block and the distributor is prestolite, just pre planning for engine overhaul in the next year or so and would like to order the proper piston and sleeves and in ordering the bearing would i need standard bearings?
if you would like to hear my backhoe i'm on you tube ''case 580b rebuild with model 33 backhoe part 4"
not sure if its the proper link or not but i wrote the title manually.
thanks
casecarlos

Timbro

Hi pardon me for intruding but i have a 580b ck not sure what year but i think its mid 70's with 33 backhoe it works great for an old machine, it seems to scream in reverse it works normal in forward, can anyone tell me why. i have changed the tranny fluid and filters.
2.Would anybody care to tell me the difference between the g159 and the g188 engine on my parts book the 188 shows prestolite distributor and the g159 show the autolite distributor i'm sure i have the g159 because of the stamp on the block and the distributor is prestolite, just pre planning for engine overhaul in the next year or so and would like to order the proper piston and sleeves and in ordering the bearing would i need standard bearings?
if you would like to hear my backhoe i'm on you tube ''case 580b rebuild with model 33 backhoe part 4"
not sure if its the proper link or not but i wrote the title manually.
thanks
casecarlos
I have the exact same sound in reverse on my 580B, struggling to find an answer to what it is. Any help appreciated.

Timbro

i was just told it could be shuttle shift transmission
Thanks Carlos, I’m beginning to suspect it’s the reverse clutch pack in the shuttle. I’ve got a mate who is a Deisel mechanic coming to take a look this weekend I’ll let you know when I get a definitive answer.

Case Carlos

Occupation
crane operator
Thanks Carlos, I’m beginning to suspect it’s the reverse clutch pack in the shuttle. I’ve got a mate who is a Deisel mechanic coming to take a look this weekend I’ll let you know when I get a definitive answer.
That's great thanks Timbro can't wait.
I wonder how much longer I have before it stops working completely?, will I still have forward?, will it just stop working in reverse?, will there be a warning before it stop all together?

can some one tell me why my case 580b backhoe stopped pulling can it be the clutch and pressure plate and if so can some one show me pictures of how to put a clutch and pressure plate in thanks

what size battery does the 580bck with the 188 eng take. mine exploded on me yesterday and blew the side out of itself. this battery was in it when i bought it. it was a sealed typed battery so i could check the fluid level in it.
i have a case 580b ck backhoe and i have a car battery in mine and it works fine.

burlocaseb

Hi, I'm the new owner of a580b. Have not located the serial number yet but did manage to unclog the tank fuel line. Now runs decent. I was interested in the earlier posts concerning shuttle drive issues as mine takes a while to warm up in order to move forward and reverse. I will be searching for the shuttle fluid dipstick and check back.
Question? 1.Where can I find lower priced rear wheels
2. Easy priced brake pads

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Welcome MasterSplinter it looks like everybody has answered your questions, there is a lot of knowledge here. I have a question though, the serial number tag you pictured where is it located?

Lee Spaniol

Here's an answer Truviking, a little late, but it's here.

It's possible your CK is slipping in the clutch packs but more likely you are discovering that these machines are not as efficient as the newer C or D models. With you machine warmed up(drive it around a little), try loading dirt with the front bucket. Rev the engine up, at some point one of the rear tires should spin, even on dry ground. Make sure that you are actually in first gear(to the left and forward) and that a brake is not dragging(shift into neutral on a slight grade and see if she rolls).

A 'B' is a dog when cold( especially in winter), so don't evaluate it until warm. The engine won't usually bog down and any significant grade usually has to be climbed in 1st gear with the engine 'flogged' in some cases.

Probably a good idea to change your shuttle oil(2 drain points), check for any metal in oil at the same time. Phil:)
I've found the shuttle dipstick (right in front of the shifter) and my oil is somewhat milky. Where are the 2 drain points?