• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580B Shuttle Rebuild Kit

Swampfoxo

Occupation
Engineer
Well, not only all of the above, BUT, the tractor came with TWO different shuttles. You need to know which one you have before you order parts. To the best of my knowledge you have to take off the shuttle-shift valve and cover to actually see. That's why I haven't done mine yet.

Are you absolutely sure you need to rebuild? I'm sure you have read all of the threads on this forum about pickup screen blockage and debris...right?
I have a case 580 b . I've been trying to repair mine. I took the thing apart 2 times already I have a strong forward but no reverse in the Rockford shuttle. I'm not sure which side of the shuttle I'd forward or if I need to tear it back apart.i am thinking the rear is the forward clutches. Please advise. If I think I could try something else let me know. I have pressure in forward. In first gear the feint end wants to pop up . In reverse nothing no peessure I do have advice for others though. The gasket that u get from sale that goes where u split it needs trimming . You can use ut as is however in time what u dont trim off will be clogging your screen.

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
I have a case 580 b . I've been trying to repair mine. I took the thing apart 2 times already I have a strong forward but no reverse in the Rockford shuttle. I'm not sure which side of the shuttle I'd forward or if I need to tear it back apart.i am thinking the rear is the forward clutches. Please advise. If I think I could try something else let me know. I have pressure in forward. In first gear the feint end wants to pop up . In reverse nothing no peessure I do have advice for others though. The gasket that u get from sale that goes where u split it needs trimming . You can use ut as is however in time what u dont trim off will be clogging your screen.
The front clutch pack is reverse if my memory is correct. Two things could cause your problem. One being the area where the shuttle input tube slides into the torque tube housing check the area where the seal rings run and make sure the grooves aren't too deep. The second thing is that there are two seal rings deep down on the shaft where the center baffle plate is fixed to the shuttle shaft make sure the seal ring is good. A third thing that I just thought of is if you by chance have a twin-disc shuttle there will be a dump valve in each piston (you will be able to see it externally) so if the reverse valve is stuck open you won't build pressure.

Last edited:

Sauve

New to the forum here...I just acquired a 580B CK Backhoe with shuttle.. The unit will hardly move in forward gear. No Problems with reverse. I now have the tractor spilt apart and I am trying to figure out for certain if this is the Rockford or Twin Disc type shuttle unit. Also as you can see in the photo that one of the plates on the shuttle drum (drum closest to the gear) doesn't appear the be seated all the way back in the groove. Any help /advice would be greatly appreciated.IMG_3205.jpg

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
It's hard to tell which shuttle it is from the photo. One way to tell is to remove the rear clutch cage and check the piston if there is a dump valve in the piston then it's a twin-disc if not then it's a rockford. Also check the serial number plate on steering column for letter id.

Swampfoxo

Occupation
Engineer
I redone mine Rockford from watching YouTube videos. Now on the gear side there should some spacers backed up against a locking ring see if that Grove its in is still good . I hope so . Now take ur hands on that gear work it back and forth pushing forward with a lil pressure to see if it moves forward also by useing ur fingers to push the clutch plates side to side. Hopefully I'll move forward. If it does 1 can assume u have alot of wear in ur clutch plates. There should be a clutch plate then wear ring clutch plate wear ring. . You said u had forward but no reverse. In the front of that there is a shaft it has mini piston rings on it spaced about 1 inch apart between those is a hole it allows fluid to flow when u move that lever by uf steering wheel. 1 is forward 1 is back. Not sure if ull find this in that forum but below the fuel tank you'll find your shuttle control valve. If you pull the lines off and put 1\2 inch nipple in it just snug . The threads are differant so just a turn ir two . You can use air pressure to see where ur leaks are plus watch the clutches work. Be sure to keep shuttle pressed forward. Those orings on that shaft are 100 dollars a set. Id change the clutches out there not expensive. I used cleaners and all on my power shuttle and air pressure to work the decreased on carb cleaner to clean the passages out. While th8s is going on be sure to clean the screen thats on the torque tube. Forward down low. If u use air u can judge if ur getting a good clutch pressure by putting a gauge on the air hose. If ur pushing it forward and clutches seem to work u might need to shim however if one assumes it was right then that extra play is wear. Uo to you but id go with new clutches. Then measure ur end play. If air comes out alot by the shaft is a broke ring if suspect.putting it back in be care not to break those . Look for a manual as well

Swampfoxo

Occupation
Engineer
New to the forum here...I just acquired a 580B CK Backhoe with shuttle.. The unit will hardly move in forward gear. No Problems with reverse. I now have the tractor spilt apart and I am trying to figure out for certain if this is the Rockford or Twin Disc type shuttle unit. Also as you can see in the photo that one of the plates on the shuttle drum (drum closest to the gear) doesn't appear the be seated all the way back in the groove. Any help /advice would be greatly appreciated.View attachment 278677
If you do a search on here look for Phil. He hasn't been on here since 2010 but he posted alot about these tractors. If u go the YouTube routte watch them all so u can decide who knows what they doing

Sauve

Thank you for the responses. I'll pull it apart tonight and see what the outcome is.

Thank you for the help!

Sauve

IMG_3210.jpg IMG_3216.jpg
Looks like part of the culprit is a bad bearing. The three rings on the shaft are not broke. But I assume they have some wear due to bearing failure.

Sauve

Good morning, I'm having issue locating shuttle clutch parts for my Case 580 B CK Backhoe Serial number 8751242 . The shuttle pack assembly is a Twin Disc type. Had bearing failure on the shuttle unit. Anyone by chance know where a guy could locate replacement parts (clutch discs) for this unit. Also are the Twin Disc and Rockford type shuttle assemblies interchangeable? Being I now have the torque tube out, my plan was to replace all the gaskets, seal bearings, ect.... Original issue was the transmission was sipping real bad in forward. No issues in reveres. Any help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_3211.jpg IMG_3216.jpg IMG_3210.jpg

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
Hey Sauve; go to borkentractor.com they usually have a good supply of parts for older machines.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Good morning, I'm having issue locating shuttle clutch parts for my Case 580 B CK Backhoe Serial number 8751242 . The shuttle pack assembly is a Twin Disc type. Had bearing failure on the shuttle unit. Anyone by chance know where a guy could locate replacement parts (clutch discs) for this unit.

So they may be out of support but I was able with my serial number to get clutch packs from Case complete, part may be out of production, Bearing and o-rings and hydraulic seals should be available, see if Case can give you a part number and search for that, perhaps an aftermarket place has a kit. That bearing is toast but looks like a common roller bearing from any supply house.