• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580B - Hydrostatic Problem

Gary N

Eureka….I feel like I just found a gold mine with this forum! I have a Case 580B that I have been using on my property for about 9 years now, and I have to say that she’s been very dependable. Except for the occasional bursting hydraulic hose, it’s just been ordinary maintenance….until now. It has a hydrostatic tranny and it appears that they were pretty rare on the 580B’s, judging by searching and reading every 580B thread I could find in this forum. Anyway, I sure hope someone can point me in the right direction on where to start so here goes………..
Here’s just a quick picture of her……
580B small.jpg

Here’s a pic of the pedal arrangement in case it helps anyone truly identify it as a hydrostatic. It doesn’t have any stick shifting, just fwd and rev pedals, and when you let off any pedal, its tranny braking. It also has a lever on the steering column that can use for higher speeds like running down the road. The pedals are real low gear....say 3-5 mph max when floored.
580B-pedals-small.jpg

So here’s the problem….My right rear wheel is intermittently locking up. When it does it, it’s a very solid lockup, metal to metal with about 1/2" of backlash, not like a friction lock up but a solid metal ratchet type lockup. If I put the outriggers down, raise the rears and alternate forward and reverse back and forth, I can often break her free, spin the wheels for awhile and then get busy but lately that hasn’t been working so I know it’s time to go in, but where do I start? Does anyone have any ideas or questions that could help identify the problem. Looking forward to some replies.

By the way...The steering column plate reads 580 BCK and s/n 8704088. Can anyone home me into a year with that?

On another note....I have learned more about my tractor in this forum than I have in the last 9 years by just asking around! Awesome and thanks in advance!

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Sounds like a brake locking up. Not uncommon on the early Case backhoes. Sometimes just adjusting the brake pedal travel will help, or it might need to be taken apart and checked. Does it happen when your apply the brakes or anytime? Phil

Gary N

I dont really use the brakes on it Phil. The tranny really holds it back when you let off the pedals. As long as the engine is running, you really dont need brakes. Its all gear. I realize that sounds wierd but its really hilly here and just I dont use them. I'll look into the brake situation but something tells me its rear end/tranny related as its a very solid lockup. When it does it and I raise the wheel off the ground, I can actually rotate it (the wheel) back and forth about 1" and hit a solid stop each way....
How do the brakes work on these ole580's? Im heading to Case right now to look at a schematic.

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
Does it matter if the diff lock is engaged or not? Sounds like a problem in the planetary somewhere, the diff ring gear drives the sun gear of the planetary, that drives the planetary gears which drive the housing that turns the axle. It only takes a loose piece of tooth or bearing roller to get caught up in the gears and the working it back and forth dislodges the piece of trash temporarily. Drain some oil out of the diff and check for metal.

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Doesn't sound like the brakes get used much.
If a brake is suspect, the covers will be exposed when the floorboards are removed. Remove the cover (4 bolts), temporarily pull/slide the brake assembly out, then replace the cover. You may have to remove the diff lock mechanism first, one of it's retaining bolts is countersunk. If the wheel still locks up, it's probably a problem with the right side gears, located under the diff cover.

It's not hard to remove the differential cover on these machines for an inspection. It's just a big rectangular plate. Remove the floor boards and everything is exposed. It's a good thing to inspect the crown and pinion, and side gears every few years, especially if a bad whine develops. With the diff cover off, check all the gear teeth, also check that all the bolts are in the carrier, if the crown gear is not riveted on. Pry the crown gear carrier side to side and note any movement, there should not be any. A more thorough inspection can be done with the oil drained out. Phil:)

Last edited:

Gary N

Thanks for the advice guys....I'm going in as soon as I can. I'll post what I find. I've got to get her back and running dependably soon. The ground is just right for pulling stumps right now......

CMSMOKE

I was on the Case web site this morning. I never saw one of these. It is called a wheel tractor. You could narrow the problem down between the torque tube and the transaxle by moving the manual disconnect lever, which will separate the hydro section from the transaxle. If the problem still exists, it is in the transaxle. If it goes away the problem is in the torque tube.
The transaxle looks to be very similar to the one used on the C,D,E and first generation K models. If the problem is in the transaxle, I beleive someone else said check the brakes first. The springs that hold the disc halves together could be broke, causing total brake lock up. If you find the brakes are OK, remove the seat and floor above the transaxle, clean and remove the large rectangular cover on the transaxle to look inside. You may find a broken tooth, probably on the ring and pinion. I've seen this happen more than a few times.
There is a faster way to check just the ring and pinion and bull gears. Drain the oil out of the transaxle (around 5 gals.) and remove the rear cover. You may need a mirror to see in or look through the rear of the machine. I can't remember how much room there is to get your head close and look in.
If the problem is in the torque tube, I won't be of any help, but I'm sure there are others on the forum that can.

oldseabee

Occupation
Retired
I understand that the problem is isolated to the right wheel. If it was the ring and pinion or torque tube, the problem should be both wheels locking up. Unless I read the problem wrong, I would look at the Right hand brake or planetary

Gary N

You are correct oldseabee....it is strictly isolated to the right wheel.
Hey CMSMOKE...what do you mean by "I never saw one of these. It is called a wheel tractor."?

CMSMOKE

I see the right wheel only now. Look at the brake springs. I never saw a 580b with a hydro. I operated and maintained case equipment for 28 years. I got on the Case site this morning and that is what it is called in parts catalog, under 580B, construction king wheel tractor with hydrostatic drive. The more traditional backhoe is called construction king tractor w/ shuttle. I think yours is very neat and clean,as well.

Hastedog

580 BCK Forklift Hydrostatic problem

I was looking through your problem as I have one of these as a forklift. Sounds like a possible wheel bearing or dif failure, had a bearing do that to me once, seize and freewheel, cage on the balls had broken and was falling in in pieces, rollover chunk would fall out until the next one found its' way in. My forklift on the other hand, after warming up and sitting for say a minute, the pedals, in both directions, will have to be depressed about a 1/4 of the way down before moving and when it does so it lurches, not safe. I am guessing a failed servo valve(if I am lucky) any thoughts? Any thoughts on parts as well as this seems obsolete.....

1968 Case 580CK

I would bet all I have that the problem is merely the right rear brake. There are 4 marble-sized steel balls inside the inner braking disc that will lock-up and cause that exact noise and description that Gary was describing. My 580CK did the same thing. You must take the brake assembly off to get to all the brake shoes and the inner brake discs. Dont just clean them up and think all is fine. You must pull apart the inner two discs to get to those 4 steel balls. Be sure to clean them up, and use some fine sandpaper or steel/brass brushes to clean/polish the round seats that they go into. Then oil, and even use some good anti-seize lube on them. Reinstall everything and you will have solved the problem. (I did another long thread with many pics of this entire process). Good luck.