• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580b front axle

3steps56

Will the front axle from a 580c mount under a case 580 b backhoe. The front spindle bearings on my case 580b are worn out. I see the weld on replacement ends for the axle listed on ebay leading me to think the 580 b had issues with this. The 580c has spindle bushings not needle bearings.
What is the best way to fix my 580b.

sheepfoot

First lets look at the age of the machine, over 40 yrs old, it's not new, and it's seen better days. The 580B is a farm type tractor that has a frame built around it for the loader and backhoe, the front end is what machines had back then. The 580C is a whole different machine, it is built from the frame up into a backhoe, the kingpins also have needle bearings, and is a lot heavier and stronger. That being said, it would be wiser to by the spindle kits and weld the tubes back and use the same set up that is on yours. You will have to deal with height, steering links, steering cylinders, rims, tires, spindles, hubs and more to try and change the steering axle and it will work for another 30+ yrs.

3steps56

Thanks for the info. I have never seen a 580c close up. I just wanted to check my options. I doubt that the tubes on the front axle would benefit much from a new set of spindle bearings and thrust washers. They look to be well worn. The spindles stick up out of the tubes about 2 inches and have plenty of side play. No visible thrust washer on bottom side of spindle tube. I hope the spindles themselves aren't worn out from being run this way. I didn't let it get in this condition. I bought it this way. Probably not such a smart move on part. As they say live and learn.

Log Move

I am replacing spindle bearings. After removing the top nut and washer from the right spindle I discovered the previous owner welded the steering arm/knuckle to the spindle. I ground down the weld and was able to get the arm off. The splines do not look like they are terribly worn but then I don't know what new spines look like. Another surprise was that there was no upper bearing or grease seal. A bit spooky. Why would anyone do this instead of simply installing new bearings? I don't get how the spindle wasn't moving all over the place within the tube. Cleaned the inside of the tube and there is a worn indentation about two inches from the top of the tube and goes about 45 degrees around the tube ID.

Regarding the lower bearings and thrust washers, I did not pay attention to how the upper and lower thrust washers were installed, Which side should be against the thrust bearing, the flat side or the beveled side?