• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 580B C/K fluid and filter change

vtfireman85

i have been waiting for a couple weeks now for my manual to arrive, i watch the tracking from time to time to see it moving around out there but it hasn't arrived yet.
i just got some time to drain fluids and change filters and i have more questions than answers.
1. see some saying gear oil in the rear end and trans and HyTran in the torque converter. some say Hytran everywhere. also it seems that the hydraulic system and the shuttle/ trans system are totally separate on this machine, if so do i use hytran in the hydraulic system or do i use just plain old R+O ? its pretty milky and i would like to get the water worked out of it.
2. where the heck is the hydraulic filter? is there one? i have crawled all around this thing and don't find it. i have a new one, so i assume one exists but i cant find it anywhere.
3. i have heard 22 or 24 gallon hydraulic fluid capacity for this thing, is that 12 or so in the loader frame for hydraulics, and the rest in the shuttle/rear end? is that 22 or so in the hydraulics and the rest is another figure?
4 as far as draining the shuttle there are a couple drain plugs right in the bell housing area, do i just pull them then refill under the floor boards? IIRC there is a drain plug on the torque converter itself on the 580K, is the B like that? had to get a special tool to turn in on the K to get the drain plug at the bottom.
5. and this may be a silly question, oil that is in cylinders and lines, does it, like brake fluid just stay there once its there? for instance the actual oil in the boom cylinder, does it change itself out as the machine is used? or once it has filled up after being serviced or installed does it keep the same old oil in there so trapped contaminants wont ever work their way out? ( this is something i have always pondered on all types of equipment)
6. this seems to have a power steering pump, is it yet another system that needs changing? does it have a filter? and what should i be using in it?

i sure ill have more questions, but theres only so much daylight today.

vtfireman85

also where are the dipsticks I hear mentioned? are they in the fill plugs? I haven't taken those out but otherwise there are no dipsticks on mine that I can find for rear end and shuttle. also I find no filter up front near the radiator for shuttle or hydraulics. IMG_0732.JPG

69 Kauai Boy

That hexagon shaped thing just under the floor behind shifter is dipstick for the transaxle, power steering pump is its own reservoir for hyd fluid and has its own dipstick.

vtfireman85

There is a drain plug for shuttle, use hytrans.
Thanks, I hadn’t removed either plug from the top to see if it had dipstick attached. Everything I was finding suggested there was a dipstick and a full plug.
I read about a shuttle filter? Or is this just a screen in a pickup tube? Sounded like it was up by the radiator but I don’t see anything up there. Unfortunately for me I set stabilizers and loader down to start draining fluid and now am having to work though the jungle gym to do and see everything. Once I get the cylinder put back together I’ll change the hydraulic filter and lift the loader .

vtfireman85

How does she start with that little baby battery?
Instantly, we’re a generator dealer and as such have those on hand. It’s a group 26. But look tiny in there. Before going to work itl get new cables and battery but it needed something to move and load so it got that stuck in there.

TSemenuk

I read they start better with two 6 volt batteries. Mine has the L-shaped battery compartment for two batteries but I have a big group 31, 12 volt.
I've never seen a floor like yours. Does it have a ROPS cab? I noticed the gear shift boot looks loose on the gear shift. Should clamp that to keep water out of the transmission.

vtfireman85

image.jpg
I read they start better with two 6 volt batteries. Mine has the L-shaped battery compartment for two batteries but I have a big group 31, 12 volt.
I've never seen a floor like yours. Does it have a ROPS cab? I noticed the gear shift boot looks loose on the gear shift. Should clamp that to keep water out of the transmission.
Has OROPS and that panel over the battery is removed, maybe why it looks different? I have the panel, just not on it right now.