• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580b blue smoke

franklin2

I am just a poor County Boy that's trying to get this beast running cheapest I can. I really appreciate everyone that takes the time to help point me in the right direction.

If this is true, ignore the smoke and run it. My 480c smokes a little blue. Less as it warms up, but always a little bit. Runs like a top and digs well. I don't worry about a little blue smoke, it just runs and starts too good.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Yes.. exactly.. I don’t recall EVER seeing a 580b that didn’t blue smoke.. at 1 x or another..

if advancing the timing doesn’t help, move it back..
Without going back n reading it all, did u check the compression while u had the injectors out.??

Mpat70

No sir I did not check compression.
If this is true, ignore the smoke and run it. My 480c smokes a little blue. Less as it warms up, but always a little bit. Runs like a top and digs well. I don't worry about a little blue smoke, it just runs and starts too good.
Thanks for the advice, I have already resigned myself to running it like this until it get worse. I will keep an eye on my oil level and dig!

edgephoto

I can tell you from experience with autos. I know this is not a car but the idea is the same.

The brand I work for had an issue with oil consumption. When under warranty we instructed the dealers to re-ring the engine. The technicians reported that the oil control rings were stuck due to carbon. When they were out of warranty some technicians put injector cleaner in the cylinders and let it sit overnight or longer. They had some success reducing the consumption.

You could try this too. Nothing to lose but time and a small amount of money.

Remove glow plugs and/or injectors.
Pour injector cleaner into the cylinder or Marvel Mystery oil. Let it sit. If you can do this a few times it might increase your chances.
After it sits make sure to get the liquid out of the cylinders before closing them up. If you don't, you will damage the engine by hydro-locking it. I would use compressed air to blow them out.
Then crank it without injectors or glow plugs. The remaining liquid will spray out. (Make sure to kill the fuel supply.)
Start engine and get to operating temp.
Shut down and change the engine oil.
You might need to do this a few times.

Grady

That blue smoke is called mosquito, blackfly, and deerfly control around here. It's been running like that for decades.

Tinkerer

The only problem with ignoring the smoke is that you motor may be wore out and in critical need of an overhaul.
That is an invitation to having a connecting rod come out of the block.
Do a compression test as I suggested earlier. Then you will know if it is unburned fuel or some sorry piston rings.
Hopefully Coy will take a look at it and give you a professional opinion.

Last edited:

Mpat70

Solid advice, I just need to head over to utube to watch some videos to figure out how to do a compression test but; I'm very observant and learn by watching so I will get it done. Thanks again Tinkerer for sharing your vast well if knowledge to us greenhorns!!!

Mpat70

I had a connecting rod come out in my Allis Chalmers D14 the day after I purchased it in 2015, I did a complete inframe overhaul on it. It was my very first experience with overhauling anything. Since then I have overhauled my Massey 135, little Iseki tx1500 4x4 with garden tiller, 95 Ford f150, and numerous repairs on my Dodge 1500 & 2500, Now I'm doing my recent purchase a Case 580b. You would think I would stop buying these broken down pieces of equipment but it's the only way I can afford them..... All my adult life I have absolutely refused to work on vehicles of any kind. Hated turning a wrench. One of the worst things about my childhood was having to work on broken down junkers with my dad..... Now as I'm 50yrs old I look back and remember it as one of the best things about growing up redneck poor, I would give anything to go back.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Most definitely..
If u can find some valve stem seals that fit.. watcha got to lose.??
Maybe call Dale at Tractor Stuff & see what your options are..
1 800 428-8183
If anyone knows it’ll be him..