• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 Super L Starting Issues

YellowIronMech

We have a case 580 super L and it was having fuel issues on it. We replaced the fuel lift pump and the injection pump. We were bale to get it started once we bled all the air out of it. But now it is having more starting issues. It only wants to fire up when you start moving any of the hydraulic controls. Also the accelerator pedal has no response unless the hydraulics are being used. We do not have a schematic or any books on it. Looking to see if anyone has any ideas or possibly a hydraulic and electrical schematic.
Thanks

sugar Ray

Hello Everyone, I have a 2002 580L backhoe that I lost all hydraulics on, front and rear, as the transmission is separate it still works fine. I had some weak pressure issues with the pump so I assumed the pump was gone. I replaced the pump, pump coupler and filter. The pump will not prime without cracking the discharge side of the pump, after doing this the machine works great. But after letting the machine sit for a short amount of time(30 min to an hour) it will lose prime resulting in no hydraulics front and rear. I have to repete the bleeding process evertime I get ready to use the machine. I was told it was most likely a venting issue, but can't find a vent on the tank anywhere, so I tried running the hydraulics without the filler cap on to see if venting was in fact the issue, NO Change in the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated !!

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
There is a plug on the side of the hydraulic tank where the battery is. Adapt an air fitting and put about 10 to 15 psi in it. Operate the hyd. to get everything working.

sugar Ray

There is, but that's not the issue. I can prime it and it works fine afterwards, it's when you turn off the machine and let it set, it losses its prime everytime.

sugar Ray

Is the tank supposed ro be pressurized some way? Seems like in to past the cap would exhaust pressure when taken off to add hydraulic fluid, or did I just dream that up??

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
The tank will build a small amount of pressure when operating the machine, as a result of oil temp rising & oil entering & tank.

A new pump would normally fix the problem you are describing - unless the rubber hoses on the suction between the tank & pump have loose hose clamps, oring at pump flange is old & flat, causing air to enter the system & pump to lose prime. Check these before anything else.

580sl hydraulics.png

Last edited:

sugar Ray

Oring is new, all rubber is good, clamps are tight, and I don't believe the tanks screen on the pick up is dirty because I can interduce air in the tank and pressurize the tank and fluid flows out immediately. It very strange what it's doing. The machine works fine after cracking the discharge side of the pump and letting it prime, but after working the machine and killing it, I have to repete this process everytime I crank it up to use it.

sugar Ray

I dont think so, if it was bad, wouldn't it damage the new pump?? And cause the Hydraulics to not work properly??

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Maybe When you pressurise the hyd tank, look to see if there is any oil leak occurring in that suction pipe.
Sometimes they have been moving in the retaining brackets & worn through the steel?
If there is no problem with that suction line, the fault can only be inside the pump.

dgb

On my 580K3 series. The cap on the hydraulic tank will hold pressure for at least 24 hours. It is marked 10 psi on the cap. During a recent bad leak The pump started whining, even after adding fluid, and when first started, it did not have hydraulics to lift the bucket. Fixing the leak and topping off the tank It is back to normal. I lost about 6 gallons during the leak.

dgb

Is there a bypass relief valve when idling that could be stuck??