• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 super k: overheating power shuttle fluid

Mark Glick

The power shuttle/transmission oil gauge on my 580 sk has been going way up into the red zone, especially when driving in 3rd and 4th gear. Usually temp is alright when working in 1st and 2nd, but on really hot days, it sometimes gets past the red line, and when it does, it has a hard time coming back down. I tried blowing out the oil radiator, and that helped some, but I'm still having some trouble. Today I took the out the suction screen out, and found large pieces of broken metal. Could that be causing it to overheat? The screen was not dirty. Anyone with experience?

Attachments

• 20240314_091216.jpg
    20240314_091216.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 14

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
That looks nasty.
A shuttle rebuild is in your future, I feel.
Thats my fortune cookie saying for today.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
Whelp, at this point your torque converter is filled with junk also.
Myself, I would find a nice place to work on it and get it done.
Because you can be sure, wherever it stops, it’s gonna be in the wrong spot.
Lol
You should have a separate oil cooler for the tranny up front.
Make sure you clean ALL lines and cooler before you put back together.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Those are thrust washers for the hemesphere gears in the diff centre. They have had an update to a different shape to avoid them cracking at the locating crimped area. (see below)
That spring is a mystery - out of the control valve for sure.
You should not be operating the loader in 3rd or 4th - these gears are only for roading. If you are "operating" in those gears, the torque convertor will be in stall most of the time & the trans will overheat.
If it spins the wheels in 1st or 2nd when pushing into a heap the shuttle is fine.

580SK spider gear thrust washers.png

Mark Glick

Thanks, alrman!
My backhoe will spin in 2nd gear if I disengage 4wd. Should it have the power to spin in 2nd gear with 4wd engaged?
And yes, I only use 3rd and 4th for roading