• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 580 CK power shuttle cooler failed, replace?

claypot

Hi all,
I have a Case 580 CK with a 188, and power shuttle.
The power shuttle cooler in the radiator has failed pumping oil in to the coolant.
I have taken it into a radiator repair place, they have said cooler is shot.
Am I right in thinking the cooler will need to be rated to 200 PSI, as this is what I told them. The radiator repair guy doesn’t think the cooler would be rated to this by looking at it. He is having trouble tracking down a cooler rated to 200 PSI.
He can get a cooler in it that is rated to less pressure.
Secondly, I was thinking of plugging the cooler on the radiator and fitting an air cooler has any one done this? If so what did you use?
I live in Australia, The price of a new radiator here is $1025 AU, so not a good option.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

claypot

Thanks for the reply Tinkerer.
I'm not sure that this type would cope with the pressure as it looks like it is attached with hose clamps to the cooler.
The one on my 580ck is threaded hydraulic hose's to the cooler fittings on the bottom of the radiator.
The flow is from the power shuttle pump, out of the shuttle block, into the filter, into the cooler then back to the shuttle block.
The filter up stream of the cooler is a big solid cast housing that looks like it was built to hold alot of pressure.

claypot

I just had another thought.
I talked to the local case dealer here to see if I could get a bottom tank for the radiator with the cooler in it only.
Then have the radiator guy solder it in.
The dealer had a part number for it but it seemed it wasn't availible, he reakoned he could get a complete radiator from the States but reakoned it would be around $2500 AU. Are you dreaming was my thoughts.
So does any one know any places in USA that would ship a bottom tank and cooler to Aus?
The cost of freight on a complete radiator makes it too expensive, but a bottom tank should be alot cheaper.
Thanks again.

SteveR

I dont want to steal a thread but, I am new to this site and can't start my own. I have a 580 super L and was having a delay when hot shifting to reverse, so I changed the transmission filter and fluid. Now NOTHING, like I lost the prime and it won't pick it up any help??

Tinkerer

Claypot, Why don't you connect the inlet and outlet hoses together with a tee fitting ? Then screw a pressure gauge in the tee and see what kinda pressure you are dealing with. I would be surprised if an external cooler can't handle the pressure that an internal one will. I have seen external coolers from Case and they are heavy duty coolers. Also your Case dealer should be able to find what the pressure is in a service manual.

claypot

I dont want to steal a thread but, I am new to this site and can't start my own. I have a 580 super L and was having a delay when hot shifting to reverse, so I changed the transmission filter and fluid. Now NOTHING, like I lost the prime and it won't pick it up any help??

SteveR, All you have to do to start a new thread is post 3 times on other threads.
You will see your post count near your name on your details on your post.
There is a test forrum to post random stuff for this, it is near the bottom of the page on the forroms home page.
You will then need to be logged out for more than an hour for the software to update. YOU MUST LOG OUT for software to do it's thing.
Then you should be able to start your own thread.
Cheers Mate.

dwloop

Claypot, Tinkerer,

On the 580B power shuttle, which I believe is almost identical to the shuttle on the 580CK, the convertor pump pressure relief test is done at the filter housing which in the circuit with the cooler in the radiator. That pump pressure can be as high as 550 psi on the pump relief relief... This cooler is on the pressure side of the circuit...

HTH
Dave

claypot

Claypot, Tinkerer,

On the 580B power shuttle, which I believe is almost identical to the shuttle on the 580CK, the convertor pump pressure relief test is done at the filter housing which in the circuit with the cooler in the radiator. That pump pressure can be as high as 550 psi on the pump relief relief... This cooler is on the pressure side of the circuit...

HTH
Dave

Hi dwloop, Thanks mate now to find a cooler that can handle the pressure.

Mudpile

Occupation
retired salesman
shuttle pump relief test I think is done with a blocked line. Should never be over 200 if working okay. Some use auto trans coolers with NPT threads with no problem.

RANDALL555

i would think that if you can come up with a cheap cooler just put it in and see if it holds because at the prices you quoted so what if you loose some hydrolic oil oil cant be that exspensive $ 1000 to 2500 for coolers WOW also if its on the high side could you just plumb it on the low side as well