• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 530 CK steering turns right and stuck.

Walker1

I was moving some dirt today in my Case 530ck with the gas motor. I had a load in the front loader going through a narrow gate. There is a 6” hole that the left front tire dropped into. As the tire bumped the other side of the hole it bumped the steering to the right a little, then the steering went full right by itself. If I lift the front wheels off the ground and turn the tires to the left by moving the tire (steering wheel has little effect), then as soon as the engine is running the wheels turn to the right again.
I suspect I have blown a left cylinder seal, so I will try to remove it from the spindle and see it it offers any resistance to pushing in/out.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

mks

If power steering I would investigate how the pump pressure is distributed. A valve in the steering gear or similar.

melben

I was moving some dirt today in my Case 530ck with the gas motor. I had a load in the front loader going through a narrow gate. There is a 6” hole that the left front tire dropped into. As the tire bumped the other side of the hole it bumped the steering to the right a little, then the steering went full right by itself. If I lift the front wheels off the ground and turn the tires to the left by moving the tire (steering wheel has little effect), then as soon as the engine is running the wheels turn to the right again.
I suspect I have blown a left cylinder seal, so I will try to remove it from the spindle and see it it offers any resistance to pushing in/out.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

melben

If the steering wheel spins with no resistance one of the cylinders probably has a piston off the rod, just a leaky piston seal would not cause a total failure. It will be easy to isolate which cylinder is at fault.

Walker1

I pulled out the left cylinder and with the hoses still attached it was fairly easy to move one way but not the other. It has a dented housing and a bent rod end. Even with those flaws I would expect this to last another 50 years. A very well designed piece, and not the problem. With it on the bench I plugged the fittings and couldn’t move it in or out aside from compressing the air. Reassembled and no change.

I poked around and found the orbital feeds a control valve that directs the pressure/return. I pulled the end cap off one side and found a centering spring and no real wear on the spool, no o-rings or really anything to go bad. Reassembled and pulled off the other end cap. There is no spring in this part, but there was a round disk, half inch thick with a bevel on one side and knurls (more like splines or thin knife indentations) around the outer diameter. This appears to have been pressed into the end cap as a stop for the spool. I made some punch marks in the aluminum and tapped it back in, reassembled, and everything is back to normal.

I hardly ever get that lucky. If my luck held to normal I would be buying an $800 orbital.

Thanks for the help!