• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1845C Muffler Bolts

Abe0389

Well we had to replace the muffler and the four bolts holding the muffler to the manifold three of them broke off. We have tried drilling them out with no avail. What can we do besides buying a new manifold...we need to get this fixed soon we have work next week that needs it

Bentworker2

Occupation
Substation Electrician
Is it in a position that you can easily work on it?

If not I would pull off the manifold.

Next I would purchase a quality helical thread insert kit. You can get them from http://www.mcmaster.com/

Follow the ditections and drill out the fasitner to the size indicated, then tap the hole with the insert tap. Then you just have to use the tool to thread in the insert. It will be stronger than it was when it was new.

Take your time, and if you start to screw it up, STOP, and take it to a machine shop. The bill will be cheaper than purchasing a new manifold.

Attachments

• 211vKTYhSvL._SL500_AA160_.jpg
    211vKTYhSvL._SL500_AA160_.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 545

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Abe0389! :drinkup

ASPHALT04

Occupation
Owner / Doing whatever it takes to pay the bills!
Have you tried an ez-out and heat? The other way I have had some success is to place a nut on top of the broken stud and weld it to the stud. Then try turning them, sometimes the heat from welding the nut on will help to break them loose, if not then heat the manifold itself. :my2c

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
at bobcat we useually heat the manifold and bolt let them cool then heat the maniflod only and the bolt usually comes out also try heating both up and poring cutting oil only on the bolt and then use an easy out to turn out the bolt you can also drill it really close to the threads and use a chisel to knock out the remaining bolt and then chase it with a tap to clean up the threads

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums paulbinso! :drinkup