• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

case 1845c left side drive weak

roostar

hello
i just bought a case 1845c with 8000hrs on the clock - when using her i noticed the left side drive is alot weaker than the right - i took off of the seat to see if the controls where moving free all the way on the left. i cannot see any problems there - what could the problem be ? hydraulic pump - dirt in hose system ?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Mmmm 8000hrs is alot...... How is the speed in reverse? Does it get any weaker as it gets hotter?
BTW - "dirt in hose system" - is something you don't want to know about with hydrostatic systems - there is no filter in the closed loop circuits ( between pumps & motors ) so any contamination will destroy them very quickly.

roostar

Mmmm 8000hrs is alot...... How is the speed in reverse? Does it get any weaker as it gets hotter?
BTW - "dirt in hose system" - is something you don't want to know about with hydrostatic systems - there is no filter in the closed loop circuits ( between pumps & motors ) so any contamination will destroy them very quickly.

power is less in reverse and feels like i have power drop when it gets hotter - i spoke to the fellow that sold the machine to me and he says he bought the machine with this problem - but he could still do all his work with it - i have noticed sometimes when i push the levers all the way forward it does not go at all, then when i go to the neutral position and push back forward i get power again - any ideas ? regards rudi

wisoak

You got to remember that the more you push on each lever, the less power you will have. More lever stroke will give you more speed, but less power. If you need power, you have to move the levers less, or back off on the lever movement to stay in the power range.

This is not to say that you may also have a problem with your machine, but make sure you are clear about what your levers should produce when fully or partially stroked.

Goose

Sounds like you have a weak drive motor, weak pump or combination of both. Do a case drain test on both drive motors and you will probably find the motor that is weak has alot more leakage that the other. When I find this problem on the gerotor type motors I will pull the motor apart and about half of the time the seals on the port plates will be blown and resealing the motor takes care of the problem. If you find metal parts damaged you need to go through the pump group and the other motor also to find the damaged to them since this is a closed loop system.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
What Goose says is right - Could be orings on port plates & that will let you see condition of motor.
Have you any gauges for checking pressures? You could check charge pressure & see if it drops when you pressurize LHS.

adam.neusbaum

My 1830 is also extrememly weak but a terrible clicking sound (like a block-n-tackle chain) whenever I'm trying to slow the machine or especially use the right hand control lever. I've since tightened the drive chains and inspected all axle splines, I'm concerned that the cluster sprockets have sheared the key, but would I still have power i.e. motion capability if the key is sheared?

pcbobcat

weak drive side

I have a bobcat that had the same symptoms. I would assume that they are built pretty much the same but then again never torn into a case to what makes it tick. But what I had to do to diagnose the problem was undo the hoses and plug them. Then started the tractor and pushed the lever to see if it started to stall or not. If it stalled then the drive motor needed to be replaced and if not, something in the main pump was gone. hope this helps.