• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 1840 fan/radiator issue

IMCA38

Occupation
Insurance claims
Well, the honeymoon with my 1840 has hit a few bumps.
I went out a couple weeks ago and found a puddle under the back end. Seems that the suction hose between the hydraulic tank and rear pump sprung a leak and drained some of the oil. I got a new hose, replaced it and replenished the oil in the reservoir. I started it up to check for leaks, and then discovered antifreeze leaking from the radiator.
I removed the radiator and found the lower section of the fan shroud cracked and broken, and the front corner edge of the lower radiator tank scraped from fan contact. Checked fan, hub, etc. and everything was tight. No idea how the contact occurred. I took the radiator in to a local shop. Leak was where the fan had scraped the lower tank. That was repaired and I got a new shroud and hoses. Went to install and couldn’t get the shroud low enough on the radiator so it wouldn’t hit the fan. Finally, I tried to install the radiator without shroud just to get a better look, and found the fan is very close the the lower tank, if not touching. I see no way to move the radiator down, so wondering about finding a new, slightly smaller fan blade (maybe. 1/2” - 1”) to gain adequate clearance.
Has anyone else encountered similar issues?

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
You may need to raise the engine.
Check the engine mount under the equipment pump, chances are it has collapsed.

1840 front engine mount.png

Last edited:

IMCA38

Occupation
Insurance claims
Well, this might be the problem!
Also, appears that the rubber mount was in wrong as I pulled it out from the bottom, and no hardened washer up top.
Now to figure out how to lift the front of the engine enough to drop in the new mount!

Attachments

• 9CE732A8-BDF6-409F-9D1A-E78E6D0E04A9.jpeg
    9CE732A8-BDF6-409F-9D1A-E78E6D0E04A9.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25

alrman

Occupation
They do look like that when they are completely destroyed.
The upper molding disintegrates, only leaving the lower bulge (crush from lower washer) looking like they were installed incorrectly.
Here's a link to the CNHI parts page for part numbers you may require - the mount was A140221 now subs to E89552
...... doing their best to keep other parts suppliers confused.

IMCA38

Occupation
Insurance claims
Well, I’ve ordered the replacement mount. Now to figure out the installation process!
Many thanks to ALR!!

IMCA38

Occupation
Insurance claims
Well, I got the new motor mount installed the other night- actually went pretty smoothly! Today I reinstalled the radiator, etc. and got it running again. Sounds great now! I kept thinking it didn’t sound very good, and now I’m sure the metal-on-metal was causing issues before the fan hit the radiator.
However, I now have a new minor issue. Machine wants to creep forward with the sticks in neutral position. Assuming I moved the tandem pump enough with the new motor mount in place to knock something out of adjust on the sticks.

Attachments

• 00E95916-C96D-4D55-BA75-32ECF130F74A.jpeg
    00E95916-C96D-4D55-BA75-32ECF130F74A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14

alrman

Occupation
Good to hear you got it sorted :cool:
Re the neutral issue, it's possible someone has tried to correct the problem & playing with the linkages.
Before you get too involved with making adjustments - remove the seat & check to make sure that the tandem pumps are up tight to the adaptor plate on the engine bellhousing.
Also check that the two bolts that hold the tandem pumps to the adaptor plate are in place.
That engine movement from the bad mounting may have shaken things around on the other end of the engine.