• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CASE 1835B the Knock was a bad u-joint. Now how to replace it?

adam.neusbaum

CASE 1835B U JOINT YOKE REMOVAL
So I torched out the cross u joint this morning but there still isn't enough room to pull it straight off the spline. What's easier to move, the engine or hydraulic pump assembly unit? If i remove just the flywheel will that gain me enough room to pull the yoke off? It all started with a knock I heard & when I inspected the universal joint, sure enough there it was. Everything in this unit is tightly squeezed in there. I see on that there is an adapter plate to the flywheel, I wonder if that would gain me the 3/4"-1" I need. Advice please.

Attachments

• 2013-05-29_08-48-48_331.jpg
    2013-05-29_08-48-48_331.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 356
  • 2013-05-28_21-44-45_783.jpg
    2013-05-28_21-44-45_783.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 318

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
It's been many years since I have had to do such a repair. From memory I used to move the engine forward a little to do this. That would involve removing the radiator.
I would think it is easier to do it that way than to play with all those hoses. I would not think the pumps would move all that much without removing some of the hoses at least, & with hydrostatics being involved they are best left sealed up to prevent contamination without the proper sealing caps & plugs.