• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Case 125b Deutz engine problems

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
I have a 1989 or 90 model Case 125b that we bought practically new. It had less that 200 hours as a rental machine when we bought it. It now has about 4200 hours on it, and I'm having some problems... In about 2002, the turbo went out on it, so I put a new turbo on, then a couple of weeks later, it developed another problem, I don't really remember what it was, but it was decided that it needed injectors, so we put a set of injectors in it. Within just a few hours with the new injectors, it developed a real bad knocking sound. I was convinced it threw a rod, so hauled it in and parked it. Ended up buying a used PC300-5 and later a new PC200-lc8, so the Case just sat. About a year ago, it was mentioned to a mechanic we know about the knock developing with the new injectors, and he said it was probably just "injector knock", and we should try to fire it up... So we did, and the knock was gone...

So, I've used it around the yard moving stuff around, it smoked a LOT at first, but kinda cleared up. Then one morning, one of the guys ran it out of fuel. We put some fuel in it, and ever since then it bogs down real easily. It was acting like it was running out of fuel. We completely drained the tank, put new fuel lines from tank to lift pump, new lift pump, new line from lift pump to fuel filter, changed fuel filter twice, blew air filter out. It picks up RPM's faster after you bog it down now, but still bogs down pretty bad, and sounds like it has a miss to it. The old lift pump had a BUNCH of crap caught in the screen in it.

Today, I busted the injector lines loose one at a time to see if I could find a dead cylinder, and sure enough, the very front cylinder made no difference. So I pulled that injector out, and it looked like new. No carbon or anything on or around the tip. The piston is moving, I stuck a wire down the injector hole several times, having someone bump the motor over, and the piston does travel (just in the odd chance that it DID throw a rod, piston not moving, and somehow just not making noise now).

So I took the injector to the pump shop we use in Tulsa, and they tested it. Said it was fine. Put it back together, and busted lines loose again. I noticed that the line to this injector doesn't seem to have near the pressure the other lines do. The other lines really shoot fuel when you bust them loose, this one, it's hard to describe, but it just doesn't seem to have as much pressure.

Motor is a Deutz BF6L913 with a bosch inline pump.

So my questions are:
1. What is "Injector Knock"?
2. Would this injector be not firing because the pump isn't supplying enough pressure to make it "pop"?
3. Is there a way I can test the injection pump, or anything servicable on the the pump with it on the machine?
4. Could a stuck intake or exhaust valve on that cylinder cause it not to fire?
5. It also has a lot of blowby after warmed up, which it didn't have before, and I somehow think it's related to whatever is going on.

Any help is very much appreciated. Local Case dealer really pushed these machines when new (we paid quite a bit of money for this one and a new 170C in 1990), but since Case now have there branded Sumitomo machines and also carry the Hitachi brand, they just kinda act like they don't know anything about these Poclain Cases. I did get it running good enough to move it to the dirt pit, but I don't think anyone besides me could run it good enough with it bogging down to load trucks, and I need it there so I can move my 200 to some other jobs I have.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Nothing I know you can do to test pump on the engine. I'm thinking you should pull the pump and take it to the pump shop. With 4200 hrs on it, it may be now having some problems. One thing you could do is pull the piston chamber on #1 of injection pump. I've seen rusted/stuck pistons, debris stuck in delivery valve, all sort of things can happen when you run one out of fuel and it sucks up the dregs in the bottom of the tank, never a good idea to do. If it's anything like the F4L912, likely they're similar, it's not hard to remove the injection pump, aside from hard to access in excavator compartment.

Last edited:

handtpipeline

Occupation
Utility Contractor
I'm wondering about a debris problem myself, seeing what was in the lift pump. It's definately got a dead cylinder. Could debris possibly cause the #1 piston in the pump not have full travel, causing it to pump a little bit of fuel, but not enough to "pop" the injector? There is a "door" on the side of the pump, that has orange silicone smeared around it, I'm sure someone that used to work for me did that, but I don't know why...

At least on this machine, you can stand up under it and the pump is at eye level, and easy to get to.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yes, debris can affect delivery valve on injection pump. I know it cost money to fix injection pumps, but if it were me, I would send that pump to injection shop if for no other reason to have if "freshened up" with 4500 hrs on it, and it's a good possibility your problem will be solved as well. Those Bosch pumps are bad about leaking oil at the throttle and shut down control shafts with that amount of hours anyway, have that problem fixed as well.

MrKomatsu

sounds like the deliveray valve in the injection pump for the cylinder in ?...send the pump off for
cleaning and calibration....just a thought..

sheepfoot

Like willie and mrkomatsu said, not much you can due on the machine, pump needs to be checked out at a pump shop, there is a plug to the right of the cover plate to access the pump shaft nut/bolt/slotted nut, that has your timing marks also, even with a key shaft on that pump take your time and line up your marks, i also have a service/parts/913 engine/ tech books for the 125B which were called the delta series, built by poclain branded case if you need more info.