• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Careers as a Heavy Duty Mechanic

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I tried to play nice with the Operating Engineers in Spokane when I was teaching at LCSC. It’s just another opportunity for the graduates to pursue.

The Local 307 thought we were competing for new students. I told them we should be working together. Why not allow my graduates, to enter the apprenticeship with an advanced placement.? They already have a lot of training and experience on their resume. It should count. Nope.

The Local 307 would try and get my students to drop out of school to join the Union.

JD955SC

Union guys,

I’m not Union bashing. Alaska is a non-right to work state. Can’t avoid Unions in my homeland. I had to join the Alaska Federation of Teachers to work at the University. Even joined the IBEW 1547 to work at a big Powerplant for a season. It’s a touchy subject, I know.

I’m surprised to hear that- I figured a state known for rugged individualism would not be such a state.

Coaldust

Occupation
Me Neither, 92U 3406.

Unless the IBEW 1547 dispatches me for a sweet $75 @ hour power plant gig close to home. Day shift and schedule O/T with double time.

Yup, I’m just a whore that way.

(for the record, I’m not a paying member of any union)

Coaldust

Occupation
JD955SC,

lol. I wish.
Unfortunately, Alaska is the biggest welfare state in the union. Uncle Ted brought home the federal bacon for us for many years. Oh’ boy. Can’t de-rail this thread. Alaska has so much welfare it takes a couple dozen 501C social welfare organizations just to distribute it. Like a industry.

The number of people that have actual family-wage earner jobs is rather low. Scary low. The oil biz pays for what the Feds, don’t.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Man did this thread blow up!!!

I’m 42, done this since 18. Have the scars and sore joints to show for it. Still love it.

My honest opinion after seeing what schools are producing is DON’T do it. Waste of $$. Anybody hiring a mechanic/tech knows it. Honestly if I was tasked with hiring another mechanic I’d think LESS of somebody with schooling. Problem is many of the teachers weren’t all that great to start with. I’ve seen a few that were excellent but not many.

I don’t think you’re too late to the game. There are always opportunities. I think I’d seek out the larger companies running equipment you’re interested in. Go apply as a helper or a lube guy. Come in early, work late. Make yourself valuable. You’ll be helping the guys make repairs before you know it.

I cannot stand to work in the shop. Only exception is winter time. I’ll spend more time getting a rig inside than I do working on it! Lol.

There are opportunities all around you and most don’t need school. You could spend a few hours a week reading some books and searching the internet and learn as much as school will teach you. Best way to learn this stuff is to be hands on and after a couple of a$$kickings you’ll catch on quick!

Don.S

The problem is that having a piece of paper makes you worth more. I know for a fact that toromont cat hires from the school he is looking at. Now if i remember correctly the starting pay after that school is something like 27$.now if you wanted to start with a company any other way you would be looking like 16$. In life its not what you know its who you blow.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
The problem is that having a piece of paper makes you worth more. I know for a fact that toromont cat hires from the school he is looking at. Now if i remember correctly the starting pay after that school is something like 27$.now if you wanted to start with a company any other way you would be looking like 16$. In life its not what you know its who you blow.

With Cat that might be true. How many other places can a mechanic go to work? While Cat might be the standard by which many things are judged I don’t know that it’s the only way to look at things.

Vetech63

We hired a guy that had that “paper” once. On his 3rd day of employment, he walked up to me in the shop with this confused look on his face while holding a tube of grease in one hand....and a handheld grease gun in the other. He had no clue that the 2 went together. Paper is worthless....and maybe that’s part of Toromonts problem as I see a lot of complaints about them.

Don.S

Deere in ontario was the same deal. Volvo Strongco same thing. Most places around here that will hire you with no schooling will be a substantial pay cut.

Don.S

Very well could be part of there problem but normally the problem for us regular people is paying bills. Its hard to to a large pay cut from what you are currently doing to jump into another thing.

Coaldust

Occupation
Being late to the game, isn't such a big deal, like Junkyard mentioned. Having the extra life experience and maturity is a huge help.

Years ago, information was much harder to obtain. School helped with that. Nowadays, info is cheap and easy to obtain. If I have a problem with a Ford-F-series, I can go to FordTechMakuloco on the YouTube and 87% of the time he has a video that explains the issue and how to fix it.

But, that piece of paper can still help you with higher pay and give you more credence in the hiring process. Especially in situations where HR hires you instead of the shop manager. Like state, fed, and municipal jobs.

Coaldust

Occupation
Anchorage Fire Dept, for example. 4% extra for a associate degree, 6% for an undergraduate degree and 2% for ASE certification.

Sure, the Bachelor degree and ASE credentials are not going to make you a better Tech. But it will make you an extra $8,000 a year at the fire house.

BigWrench55

Its hard to to a large pay cut from what you are currently doing to jump into another thing.

That's the only reason I am still doing this. Don't get me wrong I love what I do, but my body is getting tired. The problem I'm having is that my body is 40 years old, but my brain still thinks that I'm 18. I have arthritis in my hands and permanent tendonitis because there's no such thing as light duty. I would like to start training the next generation and just troubleshoot anymore.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
That's the only reason I am still doing this. Don't get me wrong I love what I do, but my body is getting tired. The problem I'm having is that my body is 40 years old, but my brain still thinks that I'm 18. I have arthritis in my hands and permanent tendonitis because there's no such thing as light duty. I would like to start training the next generation and just troubleshoot anymore.

Same here, I’d give almost anything to have a young person willing to learn. Had one start last year, made it a few weeks then got a DUI at 5:30 on a Monday morning! He actually wondered why I let him go! Wtf lol.

The last year or two my body has really started to let me know it’s not happy. Can’t imagine what I’ll feel like when I’m Miller or Vetech’s age! :)

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Being in Canada, the vast majority (if not all) of the trades require apprenticeships and schooling. Its not as simple as just buying a set of tools and going to work as a mechanic. Without that Journeyman certification you are severely kneecapping your opportunities.

1500 hours on the job, 8 weeks in the classroom. Repeat 3 more times.

Coaldust

Occupation
We should become elevator mechanics. Now, that is a niche you almost have to have a birthright to join. Two major companies, a couple of unions and they have a death grip on the industry.

5000 hr apprenticeship. Journey wages around $47 @ hour. Nice shirt, tools fit in a gym bag, new Ford Transit to run around in.

The Municipality of Anchorage posted a elevator mechanic job a couple years ago with the low end of the scale $65 @ hr.

BigWrench55

With all that being said about me disliking degrees. I am actually considering going to school and getting a degree so I can get that desk job running the show. I still believe that experience trumps education, but the world doesn't see it my way. So if I can't beat'em might as well join them.