• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Carco Winch cable attachment

Budaboy

I need help! I have an old AC HD6B dozer with a Carco winch. Think it's a F-6 series. I need a picture or info on how to attach the cable to the winch drum. What kind of thimble or termination goes on the end of the approx. 7/8-1" cable to attach to the winch drum. Winch cable was locked to the drum perfect before the neighbor used it and somehow unwound the winch cable by accident! The end of the winch cable had a "wire rope clip" locked into the winch drum depression and it has stayed there working for me for the last 20 years. I never unwound the winch enough to see how someone years ago jerry rigged it with this wire rope clip. But it has held till this situation and I would like to repair/install the cable to the drum properly/safely. Have looked online for hours and cannot see anything about how the cable attaches to the depression in the drum! Even the Carco manual doesn't tell me. Here are a couple pic's of the winch drum. Had about 125' of 7/8-1" cable that was on the drum. I also posted earlier in "Old Iron". Can't get pics to post in this thread-see them in "Old Iron" Budaboy thread if you need.
Thanks , Bob

Last edited:

AC Mel

Occupation
Self employed, begining our 38th year under the na
You should be able to find a "bull line nubbin or ferrule" at a rigging supply shop for logging supplies and cable (chokers,winch line, yarder line etc.) You should be able to put one on your existing cable. Sometimes we would have to cut or trim the cable with a cutting torch or cable cutter. It comes in a couple of pieces with the inside tapered so when it pulls tight it won't come apart. They come in different sizes for different cable. I always kept some in my service truck when we were logging. The supplier I got them from is just down the street and I'm sure they still have them. So any way once you have that on the end of the cable you should be able to hold that in the slot on your winch drum and slowly spool it in until you cover the ferrule and your good to go. I hope this is the info you were looking for. I couldn't find any of your pictures in "old iron' let me know

basecamp

Budaboy,
I always use a simple overhand knot. Use a vice grip to hold the free end as you tug it tight with the machine, then remove the vice grip and trim the knot short so it rides below the drum face.
On the down side, I have lost a couple vice grips this way.
Jim