• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Can't put in gear forward or reverse

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Level plug should be on opposite side, square drive hole. These are accessory drain back points.

mitch504

No dipstick on fill plug in front of shifter. The check plug is under the foot plates. The Allen head plugs go into the bell housing where the clutch is, not into the tranny, (IIRC). The starter safety switch is on the range shift lever, and is that wire coming out of the shift cover. You can unplug it and just short across the plug and it will turn over with the key.

Ford tractors are really bad about the clutch sticking, and it frequently takes a repeated shock load to break them free. I see this 2-3 times a year and have never had one not break free, but it occasionally takes an hour or so of hitting things with the clutch pedal held down.

Dgiumen1

I think the full plug is 7.5 inches below the top of tranny. Seems too low.
4500Modelnumbers (2).JPG fullplug7in.fromtop.jpg 4500ontranny.JPG I removed the plug and the fluid poured out. It didn't look bad I think??. I also checked the fluid on the top of the tractor above the radiator. It was milky. I thought all the hydraulic fluid was the same for tranny, bucket and backhoe.I also took off the cap in the last picture, all gunky inside. What's purpose.

Attachments

• 4500 (3).JPG
    4500 (3).JPG
    817.1 KB · Views: 4

Dgiumen1

Adjusted clutch so it wouldn't go all the way down. Started tractor in first gear road around for a while pumping the clutch pedal down/up. It didn't free the clutch
pedal it now goes all the way down ?? The transmission full plug is 7.5" below the shifter plate, is that correct. When opened the plug fluid came gushing out.
The fluid looked good, this machine did have very little use in the last 8 years maybe 2 hours a year. It hasn't been maintained in 10 years. I understand that the hydraulic fluid is milky, but isn't milky at the transmission. How do i change the hydraulic fluid for the tractor and is it different from the transmission fluid

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Sounds as the release bearing is failed. If it is not as stiff as would expect when push down it may have come apart where it will not depress the clutch fingers. At this point is split the tractor.

If you intend to do this yourself, get a full service manual and follow the instructions closely. Otherwise a garage is best to do this with the hoists and cribbing to adequately split the machine.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
One other potential still requires splitting tractor is the stacking of the friction plate material, that also will add feeplay by taking up room inside the clutch.