• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

c70 steering box adjustment

Kevin

Hello all,

I just found this site. Hats off to its founder!! I just purchased a 1982 c70 Chevy that had a lot of slop in the steering. I found the adjustmet nut on the steering box and got out most of the play in the wheel. I have since been told that if you over tighten this the power steering pump can be damaged. Does any one have any advice on this?

Kevin

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Hi Kevin! Welcome to HeavyEquipmentForums.com!!:drinkup

Might I ask how you found us?

In answer to your question, I think the damage will occur to the steering box itself if it is run too tight. I used to have a Chevy with a similar box that I rebuilt, if I remember correctly you slowly tighten the adjuster screw until there is zero play, then back off just a hair. Then tighten down the lock nut.

Kevin

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply and congrats on a great site. I found your site by accident after doing a search for some excavator teeth. I knew such a place existed but could never find it. I have been playing in the dirt part time for a few years now and trade up my equipment when ever I can find a good excuse to do so. I just purchased this C70 from a guy who converted it from a fire truck to a dump truck last year. He moved up to a wheeler. It has an 8.2 detroit. I have been tinkering on it a little this weekend but did manage to get a load of gravel on her this afternoon and go for a Sunday drive. What fun!! I'll post some pics for you soon. Thanks Kevin

Hey Kevin, we should chat sometime. I just bought a 1985 C70 with the 8.2 in it. Have the same problem with the steering box. The big problem I'm having is finding parts. I have found some suppliers for things like brakes and such but the difficulty I had obtaining those worries me if I need anything else. I'm new to these forums and I know you shouldn't post a phone number because of bots but I'd like to see how you fixed your problem on the steering.
thanks
Bill

Kevin

Hi Bill,
I got most of the slop out of the steering in that truck with the adjusting bolt. As you can see from that post it was a few years ago that I had that truck but as I recall the adjustment bolt was quite obvious on the steering box and had a locking nut on it so that once adjusted it could be locked in that position. I have since sold the truck but I see the fellow that I sold it to from time to time and he says she has been very loyal to him. I only had to purchase a few parts for it but the guy at the parts counter (Bean and Conquest, Bangor, Maine) did comment on how popular they used to be and how little he deals with c70 parts now days. At that time he was confident that he could get me any needed parts but said they would have to be ordered.
I read and heard that those engines were duds but I had no problems with mine and that trucked worked well for what I was doing. I found several school buses in this area that had the same engine and always figured if I had problems I would purchase a bus and use the engine for my truck and the body for storage. As far as I know she is still going strong. I hope you have good luck with yours.

Kevin

Kevin

Hi Bill,
I got most of the slop out of the steering in that truck with the adjusting bolt. As you can see from that post it was a few years ago that I had that truck but as I recall the adjustment bolt was quite obvious on the steering box and had a locking nut on it so that once adjusted it could be locked in that position. I have since sold the truck but I see the fellow that I sold it to from time to time and he says she has been very loyal to him. I only had to purchase a few parts for it but the guy at the parts counter (Bean and Conquest, Bangor, Maine) did comment on how popular they used to be and how little he deals with c70 parts now days. At that time he was confident that he could get me any needed parts but said they would have to be ordered.
I read and heard that those engines were duds but I had no problems with mine and that trucked worked well for what I was doing. I found several school buses in this area that had the same engine and always figured if I had problems I would purchase a bus and use the engine for my truck and the body for storage. As far as I know she is still going strong. I hope you have good luck with yours.

Kevin