• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Buying a Skid-steer, specifics ?

zink14

I know this question has had to been ask a Million times but I searched and found only general threads about it.

I have a ranch in the hillcountry of texas soil conditions range to all rock-all to rock with a little soil....it is Rough Country with lots of steep grades and few roads. We have Two specific things we are looking to do one Remove Live growth Cedar, and Get rid of Cut dry Cedar, I am looking at Muchler/Grapple/tree sheer combo to attack the issues, I also have a fair amount of road maintenance to do.

The Equipment I currently have is a Kubota 50Hp Tractor with loader and a few road implements, and a Cat D3C, I am looking for a Skid Steer to complement...

Here is the question what is the best skid steer for Reliability that can support a mulcher (enclosed cab, High Flow, 75+ HP, and 2,000 plus operational weight), I am looking for late model and low hrs....any thoughts recommendation?

I have a line on a Mustang, but reviews are spotty and sounds like they might have QC issues and a Bobcat S250, don't see a lot bad about the bobcat...

I am open for advice...

Thanks,

Zink

stuvecorp

I would throw the Case 440 out there, the Series 3 versions being the best.

Jason from YellowDog probably would have some good tips as he is from down that way.

Hardline

Occupation
Small business owner
I am from the Ft Worth area. I have had a customer with a new Mustang about 3 years ago that he bought to replace his problematic Case 60,85, and 90 XTs. He had nohing but hel out of the Mustang. It was one of the biggest they had on the market at the time. I do not remember the number though. I convinced him to look at Cats and he bought a 272C and a 262C. He has been pleased with minimal breakdowns. He was not interested in the Bobcats at all. I have another customer that has a 763G, S175, S185, and a T190 and have had very little troubles with them. Mostly just alternators. Not sure what they are doing with them but he has had probably 3 alternators in the last year go bad all factory Bobcat replacements.

zink14

thanks, will have to look up yellowdog, his name came up again today in another conversation, I am looking at the Cats tomorrow, but having trouble finding one with high flow....I am starting to question the use of the mulcher in my country, looks like it will not work well in our rocks.

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
I'm going to jump in just in case yellowdog isn't able to -- he used to run Bobcats and added a Cat 272C to his fleet last year. The unit was simply atrocious -- it let dust into the cab like none of his Bobcats did. Its performance, when it was running that is, was comparable to his S300s of the past, but nothing super different. He ended up getting rid of the 272C and going back to Bobcats.

I'm not saying this because I think the Cats are bad; I just wanted to clarify this before you think that Cats are the best option. Demo a Cat in the situation you expect to use it just so you don't end up with the same situation as Yellowdog's in case it is across all Cats and not just the ones he tried.

zink14

Looks like I am going with a Bobcat S330, now I need to find the mulching head, Grapple, and Shears any advise on any of those?

Zink