• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Buying a Case 90XT -too many hours?

wiartonmike

Looking at buying a Case 90XT on a private sale from a excavation contractor. He is asking $14,500, and I could likely get him down to $13,000 Canadian ($9,700 American). The hydraulic pump and coupler (apparently a thing for the two-speeds) were replaced with all fluids about 100 hours ago. Exterior of the machine looks good- I am going to look at it this weekend, and would like to know what I should be looking for. Fellow tells me he treats his machinery well, but I don't like to trust a word from a seller without verifying.

I have run a 1845C for a good bit, so I generally have a feel for how the machine should operate. The fellow has lots of material for me to move to get the temperature up and put it through its paces. My largest concern is that it has 4600 hours on it, I know the 1845C's will go to 10,000 hours, but am not familiar with the longevity of this series.

Main purpose of the purchaser is to clear thorn trees from a farm we are buying. Going to use this machine and a Danuser Intimidator, which should be a mean combination. It won't get run too hard, but I want the horse power to make the job easy. After that job is done, I will re-evaluate how much I like the machine and re-sell or keep it. There are lots of landowners around who want trees cleared and I might keep it as a side business for my weekends.

Thank you in advance for the combined wisdom and advice. Mike

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The XT/400 series are HD machines. Condition will help tell the story as to how the machine was treated. 4600 hours on its face is not a enough to bother me. I have seen XT machines with the 3-4 times that amount.

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
I don't have any experience with the 90XT but bought a 450 to pull thorn/locust trees with and it was a great combination. I used a CLFab puller but the Danuser should work just as well. It would pull a 4-5" tree 20' tall fairly easy. I would suggest a cab or some sort of heavy screen door. I pulled several thousand trees like this both big and small.

wiartonmike

Saw it yesterday, pretty incredible condition overall. The guy has a book of all maintenance records and receipts he has accumulated over the past couple thousand hours.

How much play should there be in the loader components? There was a consistent 1/4'' on each part of the loader linkage system. Seemed like too much to me but the fellow said a Case mechanic had looked at it and said it was appropriate.

Also, pulling up the seat, there some hydraulic oil in the bottom of the compartment. The guys said it was from when they changed the hydraulic pump, when it was running I couldn't see and new oil coming out in there so that made sense. Red flag?

JS300

Occupation
Power Plant and Cattle
The 450 has play in the loader arms and linkage too, was told this is normal. Hard to say on the oil le Mine has a small leak under the pump that I can't seem to find......yet!! I'm sure if I don't find it soon it'll show itself one day.

franklinute

I own a 90XT. Overall it has been a great machine. I think Case underrated the XT machines.
I would definitely check the wheel bearings. The manual says to repack wheel bearings
every 1000 hours. I did this a few times then I drilled and tapped two holes in the wheel hub
and I run gear oil. I have had a few electrical gremlins. Some of the safety switches have been
replaced. I have replaced the relays in the fuse box several times. The belly of the machine is
hard to keep clean. Lots of hydraulic lines and hoses make it tough to clean out. I had a few leaks
also nothing more than a loose fitting or an o-ring gone bad. I did have some of the exhaust manifold
bolts vibrate out and some broke off. I was lucky enough to drill the broken ones out. I have replaced
the fuel shutoff solenoid. It is a pain to get to. I keep an extra one in my shop. Keep an eye on the
upper radiator hose because it is a fraction of an inch from the muffler. Most of the time I run metal
tracks but when things get real sloppy I put the VTS rubber tracks on.