• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

bushings

rammaxx

Occupation
mule
well i took on my first big project at my shop, after being promoted or de-promoted as a driver. well long story short i had to re bush one of our kubota u15 min excavators. i was wondering if there is any better way to do this other than beating them in with a big hammer? any info or tips would be greatly appreciated!

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
If liquid nitrogen isn't available, most major grocery stores will sell you dry ice.

Last couple of times I did stick end bushings, I used dry ice and heated the bore with a rosebud. I had never tried heat before but a friend recommended it and it worked really good. Heated it until it sizzles when you spit on it.

hotsaw

Is it like a uniball bushing. If so find the hair-line crack on the outer band and turn it 90 degrees away from the direction that most of the force will hit it. Keeps them from breaking as quick.

grandpa

Welding a few beads on the inside of the old bushing helps in the removal of those. And as Lee-onling said a pancake cylinder is tha way to go on the install side of things.

TOM V

Occupation
Mechanic, Welder, Office work ect.
These are my tools of choice for bushing installation, center hole ram with alloy rod or dry ice maker. As Lee said the proper tools make all the difference.
tools 001.jpg

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Welding a few beads on the inside of the old bushing helps in the removal of those.

Have you ever tried to weld those nickel bronze lube impregnated bushings? What a mess. But it does give you something to grab onto if you've got an old pin to drive them out.

Gmc7210

Occupation
Owner of small excavating/landscaping company
I changed a pin and some bushings today. A bead of weld on opposite sides of the inside of the bushing. Don't be afraid to put a fair amount of weld to it. I was nervous it would go through the bushing, but it didn't even discolor it. I then used the old pin to smash it out the other side. I put the new bushings in the freezer a couple of hours ahead of time and drove them in with a piece of brass flat stock across the bushing. This was the first time i'd ever done this and i thought it went pretty well.

TOM V

Occupation
Ya beat me to it grandpa, never seen one and would to know more about!

O-K fellas for those of you who have not seen one of these dry ice makers, I bought this handy item about 15 yeaars ago ,always working in remote areas, needing dry ice at the last minute, I carry this and a 20lbs. liquid co2 bottle and I can make two 2lb. bricks.

a.tgallagher

i changed my quick connect bushings in a case 580 super m recently....i pressed the new bushings in.... went real well and tight... but only several days later the bushing that went in so tight and had to be pressed is migrating back in and putting slop in my bucket.... then its terrible to beat back in place from the inside out..... any ideas on how to fix this movement..... i really dont want to weld these in you know......... thanks

TOM V

Occupation
Tom, maybe a dumb question but, how do you use the bricks once you've made them?

Put dry ice bricks in a small cooler or box and stuff the busings in and let sit about 30 minutes, then install.