• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bushing and pin material

curb guy

I have a couple old Fiat loaders that are in need of bushing and pin replacement .Do any of you guys have any advice on what material to use? I have to make them myself due to unavailability of either factory or, aftermarket. I have a full machine shop at my disposal so, that is not a problem. I am thinking brass for the bushings and, stress proof shafting for the pins. Pins are all around 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 dia. range. Not sure what grade of brass to use or, if there is a better alternative.
Thank you

StanRUS

Bushing Material...CDA954 alum-bronze or SAE430B (CDA864) mag-bronze or Steel C1018-1026 deep case hardened to HRC57-59
Pins? Induction hardened hydraulic cylinder rod...C1045-C1050, effective case depth 0.070" to 0.120"...SAE4140-4142-4150 full Heat Treat HRC55-56. Cheaper to use micro-alloyed steel and deep induction hardening used by Cat, Komatsu etc.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
For the bushings I might be tempted to get in touch with a good Cat parts man and have them look in their "Similar Parts" and look under "BEARING/PLAIN/RADIAL/SLEEVE". If you know what the sizes you need there is a chance Cat has them. Also while there have a look under "PIN/ASSEMBLY/PIN & PLATE" might find the pins that you need.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Since you have access to a machine shop, I'd be tempted to find bushings that were as close as possible in size to what you need and just machine them a little bit to fit the machine.

StanRUS

curb guy,
LaSalle Stressproof, love the stuff, but a bit soft for equipment pins...better option ETD-150; will work harden to 53-55HRC. My buddy machined all of the prototype Cat D10 track rails, bushings and pin material was ETC-150!
Bushings if you can find approx correct sized from OEM part number, then try to locate aftermarket for that part number. OEM cost mark up typically is over 500%! Machine with carbide or hard turning!
Surface finish should max-RA32.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
I have had success making the bearings out of 4140. Machined them a bit oversize,heat and quench in oil and final machine with ceramic tips to size. I did a small loader like that years ago after which it did anther 7000 hours without issues. Its a method that any small shop can do. The other way which is similar to OEM is use EN14 and have a heat treater carburise them and grind to size.
I have done many pins from big to small using 4140 and getting them induction hardened to around 60 Rockwell.

curb guy

Thanks for all the replies fellas! I will take them all into consideration. Not sure which way I'm gonna go. I will try to get pictures of it as I go.