• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Burning trees:

deeredriver

This is what I do, but do not do it in a high traffic area. Take a old car tire and place it on the bottom of the pile, and on the side that the wind is facing. Then get a 20Lb bottle of propane and a weed burner torch and light it up. This is the quickest way to start it up. Try this any you will never use diesel again.

Jperry

Over 3 bucks a gallon for diesel I am hesitant to use it for anything wasteful like starting fires.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Don't Burn... Grind!

As DPete said in Cali you can’t burn Ag waste i.e... trees or vines! You can however grind the trees and sell the chips to co. gen's to make electricity. I ran a Diamond Z tub grinder in the California’s central valley for 5 years. These things eat stumps and spit out the splinters!

Attachments

• excavator01.jpg
    excavator01.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 312
  • excavator_removal%2001.jpg
    excavator_removal%2001.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 310
  • excavator_removal%2002.jpg
    excavator_removal%2002.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 324
  • excavator_removal%2003.jpg
    excavator_removal%2003.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
more grinder shots....

Attachments

• tree_grinding%2003.jpg
    tree_grinding%2003.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 324
  • tree_grinding%2002.jpg
    tree_grinding%2002.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 312
  • tree_grinding%2001.jpg
    tree_grinding%2001.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 315
  • tree_grinding%2004.jpg
    tree_grinding%2004.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 321
  • tree_grinding%2005.jpg
    tree_grinding%2005.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 312

Bandit44

Here is the picture I had to make is smaller to get it to go on here. I don't know much about computers either. Sure would like to get my hands on that tub grinder for a week or so.

Attachments

• DSCN1316.JPG
    DSCN1316.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Here is the picture I had to make is smaller to get it to go on here. I don't know much about computers either. Sure would like to get my hands on that tub grinder for a week or so.
:umno that thing will do 5 acres of trees in about 3 hours, if there piled up right! :D

Wolf

saw a lady kiss a tree goodbye

On one site I actually saw a lady kiss a tree goodbye before I knocked it down.:crazy ...

Chris:

That is like the funniest thing I ever heard. You must have been laughing so hard in the cab when you pushed the tree over finally. Great story. :laugh

Anybody else seen stuff like this?

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Chris:

That is like the funniest thing I ever heard. You must have been laughing so hard in the cab when you pushed the tree over finally. Great story. :laugh

Anybody else seen stuff like this?
I demoed a house once and the old owner had to be removed from the premises. Another time there were some bums living in a an old pizza restaraunt in fresno, we had to kick out of there.

dirthog27

night owl?

I have a suggestion that will probably stop the business complaints, but require you to lose some sleep. I have worked on a few right of way clearing jobs, and we would light our piles around 3 am. No one is around to complain, there is dew on the ground to somewhat reduce the danger of the fire getting out, and if your pile is properly stacked, your fire is about done burning by the time the rest of the world even starts their day! Also, a gas powered leaf blower goes a long way in starting a fire, usually with a gallon of diesel or less.

Last edited:

Bandit44

That's sound like a good plan Dirthog27. I think I am going to go ahead and push up all the trees and pile them into seperate piles and let them dry out till spring and them burn them.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Those stump grinders are wonderful things, but here's a tip.....don't stick a tree, that has grown around a Model T rearend, into one, it's kinda hard on the teeth!

We we're clearing a horribly overgrown farmstead/junk collection when this happened, and it had just had a new set of teeth installed....that old diiferential made short work of them!
The tree had completely grown around this old rearend, which could not be seen until it was too late! Ouch....
Sorry, no pics.
alan627b

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Those stump grinders are wonderful things, but here's a tip.....don't stick a tree, that has grown around a Model T rearend, into one, it's kinda hard on the teeth!

We we're clearing a horribly overgrown farmstead/junk collection when this happened, and it had just had a new set of teeth installed....that old diiferential made short work of them!
The tree had completely grown around this old rearend, which could not be seen until it was too late! Ouch....
Sorry, no pics.
alan627b
Yeah the hammer tips dont like metal to much. What kind of trees are you grinding, also what are you doing with the chips?

dieseldave

Sorry, no pics.
alan627b

They don't like rebar, either- we were clearing an old farm once, and there was a bunch of 1" bar buried under the leaves. Got mixed into the pile, hard to see, rusty old rebar looks a lot like a stick. Wraps right around the drum, and takes a torch to get out.:Banghead

Attachments

• tub 10001.JPG
    tub 10001.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 237
  • tub 40001.JPG
    tub 40001.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 235

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
They don't like rebar, either- we were clearing an old farm once, and there was a bunch of 1" bar buried under the leaves. Got mixed into the pile, hard to see, rusty old rebar looks a lot like a stick. Wraps right around the drum, and takes a torch to get out.:Banghead

Hey that morbark is in the yard by the park in vooorhees right?

dieseldave

Not usually, but we only had a little bit to do right at that spot, boss man decided to chance it:beatsme He won that particular roll of the dice, though, 'cause nothing substantial hit the truck.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Not usually, but we only had a little bit to do right at that spot, boss man decided to chance it:beatsme He won that particular roll of the dice, though, 'cause nothing substantial hit the truck.
As a grinder operator myself( Diamond Z 1463B), we sold the chips to cogen's on the west coast. What do you guys on the east coast do with them?