• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Budd wheel indigestion

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
PS You also need a 3/4 air hose for your 1" air gun. 1/2 " air hose won't work any good.
I have a good Ingersoll tire gun, works just fine on 1/2" hose (50' and 175 psi) When I reinstall wheels I use an older Bluepoint AT750 3/4' gun on a 3/8" hose and my torque wrench tells me it's more than enough. Click, Click at 450 LB FT. It's never missed a lick in 20 years. Most guys with a 1" gun over tighten the pizz out of budd nuts. Again... I check with a torque wrench.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Most guns are rated at 90 psi inlet, so with 175 psi at the front end of the hose it might just be dropping to 90 by the time it gets there...or more...

When I worked on trucks I had a similar setup, only 140 not 175. Never ran into any difficulty but just our own stuff which was well taken care of.

Truck Shop

I run a 1" gun everyday. A two second blast is all that is needed after the nut makes contact. Especially with hub pilot studs and nuts. I have too many axles and wheel ends
to chase them with a torque wrench.

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Most guns are rated at 90 psi inlet, so with 175 psi at the front end of the hose it might just be dropping to 90 by the time it gets there...or more...

When I worked on trucks I had a similar setup, only 140 not 175. Never ran into any difficulty but just our own stuff which was well taken care of.

Well, whatever the drop is... It works and I doubt my 3/4" torque wrench lies. I don't run a tire shop so I have the luxury of actually checking every nut I put on.
No argument here. Never had a customer lose a wheel.

heymccall

Well, whatever the drop is... It works and I doubt my 3/4" torque wrench lies. I don't run a tire shop so I have the luxury of actually checking every nut I put on.
No argument here. Never had a customer lose a wheel.

My largest local shop now hand checks every nut with a break over torque wrench. Unfortunately, it breaks over on every nut before the nut moves.

But, they also got in a truck tire mounting machine. No more sledgehammers and bars, yay.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Are they aware how the torque wrench is supposed to work?

What is it set to?

Is its calibration ever checked?

Is tension released when not using it?

I can guess the answers to these questions.