• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Bubble in the butt

Hokiesmokes

RonG: Yes elevations are set at different points on a large project site and used for grade checking so you don't have to turn all the way from a benchmark somewhere. We call them hubs or temporary benchmarks. Great pains are taken to hide them from dump trucks, haul trucks, and concrete trucks.

wnydirtguy

We have some kids running gps dozers. It is true that you first have to be a dozer operator before the gps can help. you need to know how push and grade dirt good with out it. if you don't it just makes them look and feel like they know what they are doing. I have told the boss more than once if I wanted some one to look good pushing a button and driving around I'd have the wife come run the machine in her bikini. She could do it just as good as them.

D5G

just remember somethin guys, these 'kids' don't learn this stuff on their own. all of you were taught how to run equipment, and some of you were even self taught, but you can't expect an 18-20 year old 'kid' to come out and know everything. it all takes time, the 'kid' should have been taught how to run a dozer before he was thrown into the gps world. however, if they come out and don't want to pay their dues, that is an entirely different story.

shooterm

Occupation
Operator
I havent seen this such a issue for dozer operators but seen a few grader guys switch back to no gps. You might as well have them run rollers.

jkc

I've never used the GPS. Is it difficult to get the hang of it?

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
D5G, you hit it on the head. Lots of these kids don't want to pay their dues.

Kman9090

On alot of state jobs the contractor's can save alot of money on the bid if they go the stakeless route and either draw up the model themselves or hire it out. One thing I have found is that GPS makes some Foreman and Superintendents less of a boss and kinda puts the job in the operators hands. The people that swear that GPS is a waste will be the same guys after using it for a few days will be the ones you can't get to go back without it.